Kjerstad had myocarditis

Sports Guy

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm optimistic that I'm correct. 

(Really though, even if he was healthy the odds are stacked against him)

I thought you were being sarcastic.  If serious, I think it's a way over the top hot take and that you should be less optimistic about your being right.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I thought you were being sarcastic.  If serious, I think it's a way over the top hot take and that you should be less optimistic about your being right.

Bro, it's the middle of March, it's spring training, Covid, ST games aren't being televised and I'm bored.  There's not much to talk about right now.

So if I am going to submit a hot take, it's going to be as hot as if it was shot out of a rocket towards the sun.  Kjerstad is going to bust.  I'd like to be wrong but he's off to a pretty goofy start here, not the type of start you'd like to see from a 1st round pick that some people think was a bit of a reach.  

Farting around on here each day, talking **** is what we do.  So what if I think Kjerstad is a bust?  I'd love to be wrong.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, it's the middle of March, it's spring training, Covid, ST games aren't being televised and I'm bored.  There's not much to talk about right now.

So if I am going to submit a hot take, it's going to be as hot as if it was shot out of a rocket towards the sun.  Kjerstad is going to bust.  I'd like to be wrong but he's off to a pretty goofy start here, not the type of start you'd like to see from a 1st round pick that some people think was a bit of a reach.  

Farting around on here each day, talking **** is what we do.  So what if I think Kjerstad is a bust?  I'd love to be wrong.  

I think that even the folks that liked the pick admit he was a reach at 1-2.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that even the folks that liked the pick admit he was a reach at 1-2.

I think those of us who were ok with the pick is because we know it allowed them to get two high ceiling high school fliers along with him. I don't think any of us saw him as the second best player available in the draft, and neither did the Orioles which is why they were able to get him signed to a lesser bonus.

If there was a clear cut #2 overall pick, like a Manny Machado type was available, then it would be more upsetting that they went this route, but with the weird year, the short draft, and limited information available on players, particularly high school players, this entire draft was a bigger crap shoot than normal.

Saying all that, it is a bit concerning that we haven't seen this guy do anything baseball related since his college season was cut short exactly one year ago. We don't know how severe his case of myocarditis was, but in mild cases usually a person can get back to playing competitive sports between 3-6 months (according to mayo clinic site). 

I'd really like to hear that he reports on time and is a full go at minor league spring training, but until that happens, it remains to be seen what is going on.  

It's certainly way too early to call anyone a bust (not saying you did), particularly due to all the caution being taken with COVID and such, but we all, including the organization, we love to see him on the field soon.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Saying all that, it is a bit concerning that we haven't seen this guy do anything baseball related since his college season was cut short exactly one year ago. We don't know how severe his case of myocarditis was, but in mild cases usually a person can get back to playing competitive sports between 3-6 months (according to mayo clinic site). 

Considering the fact that in some cases Covid can have an impact on the heart I'm fine with them being extra careful about his exposure.  I would think that someone who has suffered from Myocaritis would be on the short list for getting the vaccine.

I'm skeptical of the pick just based on mock drafts and a few post draft prospect rankings. However, I think it's stupid to call any of these picks reaches given that there wasn't much data from 2020. I highly doubt the top 10 would've shaken out the way it did if they played full college/high school seasons and had their normal showcases and what not. 

Edited by LTO's

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't you say something about how the MLB should allow teams to trade down in the draft?  Wasn't that comment made in a conversation about Kjerstad?

Yes..because I think you could have gotten him or a similar talent 4-6 picks down.

To me, there was no clear cut #2 guy.  I know everyone is high on Martin but I don’t personally share the same belief based on what was said about him.  I think it’s likely that a normal season would have seen Kjerstad be a top 5 guy.

As it was, he was in the 7-10 range by almost everyone.  I don’t feel that’s a reach.

Now, if he was a guy lost thought was closer to the 12-20 range, that would be different.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..because I think you could have gotten him or a similar talent 4-6 picks down.

To me, there was no clear cut #2 guy.  I know everyone is high on Martin but I don’t personally share the same belief based on what was said about him.  I think it’s likely that a normal season would have seen Kjerstad be a top 5 guy.

As it was, he was in the 7-10 range by almost everyone.  I don’t feel that’s a reach.

Now, if he was a guy lost thought was closer to the 12-20 range, that would be different.

This isn't the second round where a 5 pick spread isn't much of a difference. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This isn't the second round where a 5 pick spread isn't much of a difference. 

Sure it is..the baseball draft is a complete crapshoot, much moreso than other sports...especially when there is almost no 2020 data available.

I think if the Os were picking third and Martin was gone, no one would bat an eye at taking Kjerstad third.

This is all about Martin...and I don’t agree that Martin is a slam dunk pick there.

I also agree with the philosophy of not taking a pitcher there.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Sure it is..the baseball draft is a complete crapshoot, much moreso than other sports...especially when there is almost no 2020 data available.

I think if the Os were picking third and Martin was gone, no one would bat an eye at taking Kjerstad third.

This is all about Martin...and I don’t agree that Martin is a slam dunk pick there.

I'll disagree on both points.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would have still wanted Veen.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't you say something about how the MLB should allow teams to trade down in the draft?  Wasn't that comment made in a conversation about Kjerstad?

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Effectively that's what happened by going underslot...