Davis is making changes!

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly think this might be the beginning of the end and that he won't come north this year.

They've figured out how to handle Covid in sports. Teams will play. No salary relief this year. 

I doubt they bet on a strike. I think this little injury might be it for him. Am I crazy?

Was thinking about this as well and don't even think it matters.  As long as he is still under contract, any salary relief for covid or any other situation would still apply to his contract.  if they strike he would not be paid.  Only way these situations wouldn't apply to him is if he got a buyout and was not longer under contract.

54 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think he's retiring if thats what you're hinting at. Davis is going to make the team release him before he does that. I dont think the O's will do that with all the league wide issues over the next two years. 

Agreed. I don't think Davis is quitting or taking a deal. I think the team will cave and cut him. 

That's my hunch right now.

If the Orioles cut Davis before a work stoppage, whether it's due to COVID or a strike/lockout, they are on the hook for the full amount of his contract.  This happened with a player that was cut before the season was suspended last year and the team had to pay his full salary.

2 minutes ago, half hop said:

where is his self pride in all of this? ... he is a laughing stock ... I mean the level of futility he's reached is historic ... take your millions and have a nice life 

This following post is speculation by me...

Davis, IMO, likely put up big numbers because of PEDs. He happily took a contract on the back of those numbers. Then he stopped PEDs. 

It's a bait and switch, but the O's can't complain because they should have known what helped him get those stats and you obviously can't force a player to take PEDs.

In the business world, this might be fraud, but only if the investor wasn't in on it. If the investor was in on your fraud, then they're frauds too and there's a conspiracy. But this is sports, and the DOJ isn't cracking down on this type of fraud.

This was a conspiracy where one party took the money and ran and the other party can't cry foul because they're frauds too. Still, Davis is a fraud and fans have every right to treat him like one.

Just now, NCRaven said:

If the Orioles cut Davis before a work stoppage, whether it's due to COVID or a strike/lockout, they are on the hook for the full amount of his contract.  This happened with a player that was cut before the season was suspended last year and the team had to pay his full salary.

I think the odds of a work stoppage are quite low. Too much money is everywhere right now, and bank accounts are not as full as they were because of Covid. I don't think they stop work when the world is open again.

Just now, LookinUp said:

I think the odds of a work stoppage are quite low. Too much money is everywhere right now, and bank accounts are not as full as they were because of Covid. I don't think they stop work when the world is open again.

I think that you may be underestimating the huge amount of distrust that the players have for management.

57 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think he's retiring if thats what you're hinting at. Davis is going to make the team release him before he does that. I dont think the O's will do that with all the league wide issues over the next two years. 

I think the chances of 2021 player salaries being reduced for Covid disruptions are pretty remote.

What will happen with a potential strike/work stoppage/lockout in 2022 is, so far as I can tell, completely uncertain. As long as that uncertainty remains, I think Davis stays on the roster (with, I hope, some IL time). I don't see the owners, who have shown that they care more about saving a few million dollars than they do about winning more games this year, giving up the prospect of saving millions of dollars on Davis's salary next year. So I don't think the Orioles will release him until the outlook for 2022 is clarified, and I expect him to be an Oriole for the rest of this season. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think that you may be underestimating the huge amount of distrust that the players have for management.

And I think a fair amount of that is posturing, but that assumes MLB and Union leadership are competent, which admittedly might not be the case.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Yep.   Sad but true.   As soon as labor peace for 2022 is achieved, whether it's in the winter or after some sort of ugly work stoppage, THEN he will be released.

Which means that 2021 is his final season.   Let him have his retirement tour, going to all the cities around the league and receiving his ovations and gifts from opposing fans and teams.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yep.   Sad but true.   As soon as labor peace for 2022 is achieved, whether it's in the winter or after some sort of ugly work stoppage, THEN he will be released.

Which means that 2021 is his final season.   Let him have his retirement tour, going to all the cities around the league and receiving his ovations and gifts from opposing fans and teams.

Can we call it the 3 k's or bust tour?

21 hours ago, interloper said:

I can see it now when he's back: "I think the swing change caused the back injury so I'm gonna go back to what's felt right my whole career."

I know it was only one game and two plate appearances and no TV, but did anyone who did see him (reporter or otherwise) describe what he was doing differently?