21-22 International Signing Period

Absltgreek

Baseball America unveiled their 21-22 International signing Board with some names for next signing period. After signing the (I believe 28 and 30 ranked) prospects on last years Board, the O's are linked to the 17th ranked on their list for next year:

Braylin Tavera

Dominican RepublicOF

Notes:

Born: Feb. 19, 2005. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 175.

With the Orioles joining the rest of Major League Baseball in competing for top players from Latin America, their top expected signing in the upcoming class is expected to be Tavera, likely for a bonus in the $1.5 to $2 million range. Tavera is a center fielder who ran the 60-yard dash in 6.47 seconds at a Dominican Prospect League showcase in October 2019, and while he might slow down some as he fills out, he should be able to stay in center. He has a mix of average-ish tools across the rest of his skill set. He trains at the Zorrilla Baseball Academy.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2021-22-mlb-international-prospects-big-board/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Was just coming here to post this. Good stuff. However, it should be noted that these "rankings" on BA are not based on talent evaluation. The ranking is based on the projected bonuses the player is expected to get. I suppose there is a correlation between prospect status and bonus amount but it's even more a crapshoot than normal prospect/draft rankings due to the scouting coming mostly from one team. In the most recent two periods it looks like the Os will sign the 28th and 17th "ranked" prospect. In reality these guys could be far higher or lower in a true prospect ranking if more info was available. Either way, I'm thrilled the Os are finally legit competitors in this area. Credit must be given to the FO who is staying true to what they promised when taking over.  

I'm just happy to hear the Oriole are linked to two top 30 international prospects. This is such a crap shoot but the more of these guys they get the better chance of one paying off at the major league level.

I like to hear about up the middle players and pitchers. They are your best athletes and arms.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speed is nice, but “a mix of average-Ish tools across the rest of his skill set” doesn’t sound that inspiring.   

Don't worry. We'll hear he's the next Willie Mays by the time he's signed. He'll grow up a lot in the next 6 months.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Speed is nice, but “a mix of average-Ish tools across the rest of his skill set” doesn’t sound that inspiring.   

Depends what average-ish is in relation to. If it's in relation to his peers, that's not super inspiring. If it's projected to be average-ish at the ML level, then that's a really good prospect.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Frobby said:

I think that characterization is a little misleading. What does that mean, really? Is it that he projects to an average major league CF with speed? I would take that.