The Catching Situation

Legend_Of_Joey

36 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Honda is also ranked as the number 1 stolen car maker because of how easy they are to steal. (1)

Catcher takes such an abusive at the position, that they better be a durable dude. (2)

(1) This makes no sense. People do not buy cars because they are easy to steal.

(2) Hondas are durable.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Harvey was a first round draft pitcher with strong family pedigree, so his improvement is based on Sisco's catching him?  Sorry, I dont really go along with that, but hey, you are welcome to that. Not exactly like you said the world was flat.

I will strongly disagree with you about C defense being over rated.

I dont agree, call me old school, call me an idiot, I dont care. Give me a  plus defender at Catcher that can handle the pitchers, set up the correct location for the pitch called for, being the field general out there. making sure his COF isnt in the wrong position. 

1). Harvey has had some major injuries and has converted to a reliever.  And just because he is a first rounder, doesn’t mean he’s going to develop.

2) I agree that I would prefer plus defense. I want plus defense at every position.  I just think people overrate the defense of a C and it’s impact on the staff.

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

I think we’ve all seen Severino’s casual attempts to block balls in the dirt to know that good C defense isn’t overrated. 

I am interested to see if any of the initiatives to increase steals in the minors make it up to the bigs, will make catcher’s arms important in a hurry.

Mistakes are always an issue no matter the position.  That’s obvious.

I don’t know how much watching him poorly block balls in the dirt means that C defense isn’t overrated.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know how much watching him poorly block balls in the dirt means that C defense isn’t overrated.

How on earth is catcher defense overrated? It's the most important/demanding defensive position in baseball. There really isn't a close second. Perhaps if they eventually adopt an electronic strikezone you could make that argument, but even still it would be the most important defensive position. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

How on earth is catcher defense overrated? It's the most important/demanding defensive position in baseball. There really isn't a close second. Perhaps if they eventually adopt an electronic strikezone you could make that argument, but even still it would be the most important defensive position. 

You’re better off talking to a brick wall.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I can think the Beatles were the best band in the world and still think they are overrated.

Saying you think catcher defense is overrated is not the same thing as saying catcher defense is unimportant.

I've said it before.  If framing made as big a difference as certain groups thinks it does, teams would pay for it.  They have the data, most of them aren't stupid. 

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I think there's differences to "catcher defense" concept:

1. The older school concept, which is related to throwing, blocking balls in the dirt, positioning his teammates correctly, calling pitches

2. The newer school, which is related to pitch framing, getting additional strikes and therefore additional outs, adding to team win percentage, etc.

Not saying either Sisco or Severino is good at it, but the first guy doesn't count as much for WAR as the second guy

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can think the Beatles were the best band in the world and still think they are overrated.

Saying you think catcher defense is overrated is not the same thing as saying catcher defense is unimportant.

I've said it before.  If framing made as big a difference as certain groups thinks it does, teams would pay for it.  They have the data, most of them aren't stupid. 

Surely you realize that framing is a fraction of what makes catcher defense important, correct?

Just now, MarCakes21 said:

I think there's differences to "catcher defense" concept:

1. The older school concept, which is related to throwing, blocking balls in the dirt, positioning his teammates correctly, calling pitches

2. The newer school, which is related to pitch framing, getting additional strikes and therefore additional outs, adding to team win percentage, etc.

Not saying either Sisco or Severino is good at it, but the first guy doesn't count as much for WAR as the second guy

In today's game pitch calling and positioning shouldn't be handled by the catcher.  The analytics department should have all of that mapped out.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In today's game pitch calling and positioning shouldn't be handled by the catcher.  The analytics department should have all of that mapped out.

Which is done in turn by the catcher or someone in the dugout and the catcher relays.