Pay attention to starters this week

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In general, I think you overestimate the effects of the results of spring games.   Someone "needs to have a good outing" or "can't have 3 bad starts in a row".

I think they have an idea of who they want, and if those people get their work in and pitch the number of pitches they are supposed to and have the velocity and location expected of them, results just don't matter all that much.

I don't think it's as wide open a competition as you believe.   It's just that we don't know what they are thinking so in our minds that translates into every little thing mattering a ton.

I think Roch in his blog posted at 2:35 pm today says about what I said on Kremer and Akin.   Hyde has a lot longer leash on Lopez as a starter than I do.   According to Roch, LeBlanc has a contractual issue.  I know nothing about LeBlanc's contract opt out.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/orioles-remain-undecided-on-pitching-numbers-plus-notes.html

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Roch in his blog posted at 2:35 pm today says about what I said on Kremer and Akin.   Hyde has a lot longer leash on Lopez as a starter than I do.   According to Roch, LeBlanc has a contractual issue.  I know nothing about LeBlanc's contract opt out.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/orioles-remain-undecided-on-pitching-numbers-plus-notes.html

It was posted here in a thread yesterday.  LeBlanc, and Harvey, both have the right to demand to be put on the 40 man roster within 72 hours or be released.

That doesn't mean they WILL demand it.   It would be silly for Harvey to demand it, he's pretty sure he's going on anyway.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yeah, I think that is all just rhetoric from Hyde. Like SteveA said, they know who they want. Tony alluded to Akin being out of shape, and I am sure that did not endear him to Hyde and Elias. 

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

If LeBlanc is optioning out, it makes sense, he would already have a ML offer from some other team, right? Like the Rangers, where guys are dropping like the 82nd on D-Day? So he’s either in the rotation without doubt, or he’s going somewhere where he will be.

Is this allowed? Sounds like tampering.

56 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Is this allowed? Sounds like tampering.

I don’t know whether it’s allowed or not, but I wonder if the agent is allowed to go to other teams and say hey, look we’re going to opt out, are you interested.

It might be tampering if the Rangers reached out to Leblanc, but there might be a way to do it that is legal, I don’t know the details of how it works, and you’re correct, it might not be allowed, but LeBlanc’s agent is doubtless aware of teams that have need.

o

In addition to the 2-Run Home Run that he ceded, 1 of the 4 Singles that was hit off of Kremer today was of the infield variety.

14 OUTS: )  5 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Popouts

DEAJUNIOR "D.J." KREMER )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 3/24) )))))))) (Spring Training)

IP:l.4.67

H:lllll5 ) l(1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:llll 2

BB:ll1

SO:l.5

Pitches: l) 000 )(00)Strikes, )00)Balls) ) [UNAVAILABLE]

2021 ERA: l) 6.32 )  15.67 IP  (11 ER) 

2021 WHIP: l)  1.595  )  15.67 IP  (25 H/BB) 

2021 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .270  )(17 for 63)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

[UNAVAILABLE]

o

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its my opinion of where the starter competition is at this point.   It can and probably will change.

That’s fine.  But you are presenting your opinion as a fact there and it’s far from that. That’s why I asked if you had a link or something.  Wasn’t sure if I missed Hyde saying something about Akin.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine.  But you are presenting your opinion as a fact there and it’s far from that. That’s why I asked if you had a link or something.  Wasn’t sure if I missed Hyde saying something about Akin.  

You do that all the time.   When you say a player is no good its your opinion.  Most of the time you give no proof.   What is this?  Do what I say not what I do.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You do that all the time.   When you say a player is no good its your opinion.  Most of the time you give no proof.   What is this?  Do what I say not what I do.

Well, if I say a player is no good, it’s pretty obvious why.  I don’t need to make a post every time about poor ML stats, mediocre MiL stats, etc...it’s a huge difference between you saying he NEEDS to go X amount of innings or if he doesn’t do well, he will probably be optioned.

Those statements are a lot different than saying, I don’t think player X is any good.  

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Good to see Kremer go 4.2 IP.  He seems ready to start the season in the rotation.  Add him to Means and Matt Harvey.

He looked good overall. Still working the command out, but the cut fastball has become a real weapon for him. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I thought he'd be a curveball guy mainly, but the cutter is a nice wrinkle for him. 

He gets a lot of swings and misses on the pitch from what I've seen. When he can throw the cruveball down in the zone for strikes it can be effective, but it hasn't been a swing and miss strike out pitch for him like it was in the minors.