Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Gunnar will be fine, but this is exactly why I chuckle when some people talk about bringing guys up to the majors out of Low-A ball. every level they need to make adjustments. Henderson will be just fine even if he's going through some growing pains right now.

I take it you're not a fan of MLEs?  To me they definitely seem to break down if you go lower than AA -> MLB.

16 minutes ago, doccat said:

Gotta admit, this is getting painful to watch...  1 for 27....  :(

Send him back down to Delmarva or give him a few more games to see if he can turn it around????

Just once in my lifetime, I'd like to see an Orioles prospect get a promotion and completely dominate the new level....   but I don't think that's ever happened....

Grayson Rodriguez

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, doccat said:

Send him back down to Delmarva or give him a few more games to see if he can turn it around????

Just once in my lifetime, I'd like to see an Orioles prospect get a promotion and completely dominate the new level....   but I don't think that's ever happened....

There's a good article in the Sun today talking about him making adjustments and improving his batting practice daily sessions. He'll start to break out. But it's a process. This is a good example of why you don't bring someone to MLB "to learn". There's a ton of adjustments that need to be made at every level. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, doccat said:

Don’t forget about Matt Wieters.  

Year Age AgeDif Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2008 22   2 Teams 2 Lgs A+-AA BAL 130 530 437 89 155 22 2 27 91 2 2 82 76 .355 .454 .600 1.053 262 15 3 1 7 8
2008 22 -2.5 Bowie EL AA BAL 61 250 208 41 76 14 2 12 51 1 0 38 29 .365 .460 .625 1.085 130 9 1 0 3 3
2008 22 -0.9 Frederick CARL A+ BAL 69 280 229 48 79 8 0 15 40 1 2 44 47 .345 .448 .576 1.024 132 6 2 1 4 5
2009 23 -4.1 Norfolk IL AAA BAL 39 163 141 25 43 9 2 5 30 0 0 20 30 .305 .387 .504 .890 71 6 0 0 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, doccat said:

12 walks in 40 plate appearances.   Has a .325 OBP with only that one hit.  And it’s only been 10 games.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, murph said:

12 walks in 40 plate appearances.   Has a .325 OBP with only that one hit.  And it’s only been 10 games.   

I had the opportunity to watch him at Delmarva quite a bit. I think he'll be fine. He just turned 20 and seems to have a ton of talent. Some guys just look "different" on the field.

• Upvote 2

the ONLY reason to send a top prospect down, is if they are starting to lose confidence in themselves. Keep Henderson challenged in Aberdeen. Its similar to all the people asking for Mountcastle to be sent back to AAA earlier this season... the prospects can't figure things out if they aren't given the chance.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, 7Mo said:

There's a good article in the Sun today talking about him making adjustments and improving his batting practice daily sessions. He'll start to break out. But it's a process. This is a good example of why you don't bring someone to MLB "to learn". There's a ton of adjustments that need to be made at every level. 

Exactly. The folks that want every prospect rushed to the majors don't realize how important these steps are when it comes to making adjustments and learning at a level where they aren't crushed. Henderson is certainly trying to learn how to shorten his swing a bit as they are working him pretty hard inside right now. He's a got a ton of talent but seems to have gone into a horrific slump just when he was promoted.

the talent difference is not that much that he should be totally dominated so he should be ok. Last night was terrible game where he went 0-for-4, 2 Ks and 2 errors at SS. I really think they need to leave him at 3B and stop moving him back and forth, but it's hard to know whether he's taking his bat woes into the field. 

This is probably his longest bout of failure so it's a learning experience for him. Let's see where he is after 100 PAs.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No of course you don’t send him back..what would that help?

We haven’t heard any reports…is he overmatched?  Is he hitting into bad luck?  

17 K’s in 44 PA (39% K rate) suggests he’s finding Hi A challenging.   But it’s too soon to even consider sending him back to low A.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

17 K’s in 44 PA (39% K rate) suggests he’s finding Hi A challenging.   But it’s too soon to even consider sending him back to low A.

Sure but how are the at bats?  Is he completely overmatched?  When he is making contact, how is that?  Is he hitting into bad luck?  I can tell you that almost any stretch like the one he is in has some bad luck involved (just as the opposite is true when you are in a really good stretch).

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. The folks that want every prospect rushed to the majors don't realize how important these steps are when it comes to making adjustments and learning at a level where they aren't crushed. Henderson is certainly trying to learn how to shorten his swing a bit as they are working him pretty hard inside right now. He's a got a ton of talent but seems to have gone into a horrific slump just when he was promoted.

the talent difference is not that much that he should be totally dominated so he should be ok. Last night was terrible game where he went 0-for-4, 2 Ks and 2 errors at SS. I really think they need to leave him at 3B and stop moving him back and forth, but it's hard to know whether he's taking his bat woes into the field. 

This is probably his longest bout of failure so it's a learning experience for him. Let's see where he is after 100 PAs.

Not sure if you read the Sun article but it aligns almost perfectly with what you said. Henderson even spoke about this being a learning experience, as you said. Tom Eller, while being vague, talked about him making swing adjustments and him getting closer everyday. 

As you very well know, even at his young age, swing adjustments take time. To this point, his attitude has been great so hopefully the adjustments take hold soon. 

• Upvote 1