John Means 2021

Il BuonO

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I remember when Willie McGee won the National League batting title in 1990, even though he played the final month of the season (plus the post-season) for the Oakland Athletics.

His trade from St. Louis to Oakland was waaaaaay past the mid-season point when it happened, but the sentiment immediately brought that to mind for me.

o

Sabathia got Cy Young votes in 2008.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I remember when Willie McGee won the National League batting title in 1990, even though he played the final month of the season (plus the post-season) for the Oakland Athletics.

His trade from St. Louis to Oakland was waaaaaay past the mid-season point when it happened, but the sentiment immediately brought that to mind for me.

o

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

CC Sabathia got some Cy Young votes in 2008.

o

Sandy Koufax was so utterly dominant in his final season of pitching in 1966 that he got some Cy Young votes in 1967, even though he was retired ...... wait, I don't think that that is really true.

o

The thing I always remember about the McGee trade is that it resulted in Eddie Murray leading the Majors in batting average but not winning a batting title.  Murray batted .330 for the Dodgers.  Meanwhile, McGee won his second NL batting title, hitting .335 for the Cardinals, but only hit .324 for the season when factoring in his time in Oakland.  George Brett won the AL batting crown at .329, which made him the only player to win batting titles in three different decades.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

O’s probably aren’t going to trade Means unless they are blown away or they believe he won’t be able to be a part of the next competitive team... and I don’t see why they’d believe that. 

What makes you think that?

I don't think they are going to extend him and that he's going to be expensive by the time they hopefully will be competitive. 

Dumbest thing they can do is to keep him and let him walk for nothing.

Oh wait... I understand now why you don't think they will trade him.

Point taken.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What makes you think that?

I don't think they are going to extend him and that he's going to be expensive by the time they hopefully will be competitive. 

Dumbest thing they can do is to keep him and let him walk for nothing.

Oh wait... I understand now why you don't think they will trade him.

Point taken.

He's not a FA until 2024.

I’m just enjoying watching him pitch. Seeing Piscotty go back to the dugout after striking out, shaking his head and lamenting to his teammates that he couldn’t tell the difference between Means’ fastball and his changeup, was a glorious moment. 

And yes, both home runs off him were above the strike zone, weirdly enough. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

They could get a massive haul for Means thats for sure. 3 years of control after this year. I would want back a top prospect for every year of control. 

The O's finally get a great starting pitcher and everybody wants to trade him.  The O's don't need to trade Means, they need another starter or 2 like him. 

• Thanks 1