The defense thread 2021

Frobby

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 36, May 11

Defense arguably cost us this game in the 9th inning.    With one out and runners on first and second, Hays dove for a soft liner in the gap but came well short of catching it.   Mullins fielded it cleanly on a hop and relayed it to Urias, who turned and threw home well wide and past Severino while the runner scored from 2B.   The play was backed up, but the bad throw allowed Jonathan Villar, who had been on 1B, to advance to 3B with only one out.  

With the infield in, the hitter bounced a grounder to Mancini, whose throw to Severino came in head-high and Severino’s tag was late.   If the throw had been knee high, it would have been very close at the plate, though I can’t say Villar definitely would have been out.  I’d also say Mancini’s throw was a bit fluttery in addition to coming in too high.   

The first play was notable in several respects.   First, Hays’ dive was ill-advised, as he really wasn’t close to catching it.   Second, Mullins made the decision to relay the ball to Urias rather than throw directly home, which was probably the right decision given his weak arm (even his relay throw was a one-hopper) but an outfielder with a stronger arm might have been able to nail the runner at the plate.   Third, with Mullins having made that decision, it was a mistake for Urias to turn and throw home.   And then, his throw wasn’t good.   Even so, Severino might have been able to stop it from getting past him, though the play properly was scored as an error on Urias.   So all around, a very disappointing play.   

The hit by Pillar that started the rally went right over Ruiz's glove at third base. A good third baseman makes that play and the rally probably never happens at all

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The hit by Pillar that started the rally went right over Ruiz's glove at third base. A good third baseman makes that play and the rally probably never happens at all

Very good point, and I should have mentioned it.  Slightly bad hop, but Ruiz should have been in front of that ball rather than having his glove off to one side.   

In the first inning after a leadoff walk the #2 hitter hit a screaming line drive that took one high hop off of Galvis' glove for a single. If he gloves it, we turn a double play, and the whole 4 run first inning probably doesn't. Sure it was hit hard but a ML SS should make that play 9 out of 10 times.

• 2 weeks later...

This relay play last night was as good as it gets - Mullins to Galvis to Severino and a sprawling Simmons over the top!  If this link doesn't work, see game videos. @Frobby.  But Pedro didn't help Dean too much with his gaffes on missed third strike and failing to block ball in dirt ceding a run.  @Legend_Of_Joey @OFFNY

es1znnez51r0lisqz94w.jpg

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-twins/2021/05/25/634048?bt_ee=G%2BykQmjBWcZXN0YPN5pG8PTUlDJwe04begLNgzlfWmOw5O%2BA%2FcmPg38uAAU3LE2o&bt_ts=1621998680865&partnerId=zh-20210526-228243-BAL-1-A&qid=132&utm_id=zh-20210526-228243-BAL-1-A#game_tab=videos,game_state=final,game=634048

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, Frobby said:

But I’d still never insult the guy by calling him unathletic.   

Making an observation that Stewart is clumsy, poorly coordinated and out of control in the outfield should not be conflated to being an "insult." 

Want an example of of insult?

"Olberman is a douche."

Recognize that? That's an example of an insult, not an observation.

Or a poster who continuously insults others on here, such as, "So yea, you are really arent that bright." I don't see you calling out certain posters who use ad hominems repeatedly against people who participate on this site.

Obviously, reactions and offense taken all depend on who the speaker is here.

Mountcastle's misplay of a bloop single in LF that bounced over his head cost us what turned out to be the winning run today.  He did atone for it a bit by drawing a walk that started the O's only rally.    

It seems like every time Mountcastle is in LF, the ball finds him and the results are not pretty.  Time to stick him at 1B/DH and leave him there.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Mountcastle's misplay of a bloop single in LF that bounced over his head cost us what turned out to be the winning run today.  He did atone for it a bit by drawing a walk that started the O's only rally.    

It seems like every time Mountcastle is in LF, the ball finds him and the results are not pretty.  Time to stick him at 1B/DH and leave him there.  

Yeah, is there any good reason to not just put he and Mancini there and leave them?

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

I didn't have time to post as it happened, but in the first inning, 1st and 2nd no one out regular fly ball to LF nearly warning track depth.

Brandon Lowe tagged up and made it to 3rd base with one out.    You try to sneak him one game and in the 1st inning opponent grabbed 90 feet I feel they wouldn't have even considered trying against 90%+ of outfielders.

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I didn't have time to post as it happened, but in the first inning, 1st and 2nd no one out regular fly ball to LF nearly warning track depth.

Brandon Lowe tagged up and made it to 3rd base with one out.    You try to sneak him one game and in the 1st inning opponent grabbed 90 feet I feel they wouldn't have even considered trying against 90%+ of outfielders.

Palmer was a bit of a little cry baby about that play.  Oh how he moaned.  

5 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

You are correct.

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

He just doesn’t have the instincts, and unthinking plays like frequently add up to losses. He didn’t do anything wrong, but he did.

stick him at 1B and leave him there for 5 years.

I think part of what Elias is working through is CAN the Orioles keep both Mancini and Mountcastle?  And if you do, can you plug em both in and keep the DH available to someone else?

I do not see a problem with doing this and I think it is creative.  I also think the answer is, that once we are truly trying to be competitive, no we cannot play them both in the field.

I don't think this guarantees either gets moved, but I think this is part of a bigger equation and that moving one could be the product of that work.

We will see.

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

I think part of what Elias is working through is CAN the Orioles keep both Mancini and Mountcastle?  And if you do, can you plug em both in and keep the DH available to someone else?

I do not see a problem with doing this and I think it is creative.  I also think the answer is, that once we are truly trying to be competitive, no we cannot play them both in the field.

I don't think this guarantees either gets moved, but I think this is part of a bigger equation and that moving one could be the product of that work.

We will see.

If I recall correctly, Mancini wasn't as bad as Mountcastle as an outfielder  If they are looking to trade Mancini, they should give him some reps out there to showcase his defensive versatility to other teams.  

• Upvote 1