So...Ruiz @ 2B

Bahama O's Fan

3rd base and 2nd base are so dramatically different - unlike 2nd and SS.  With Rio having so little experience playing up the middle... I'd love for it to work, but the chances are so much against it.  

I mean, Hyde admitted the idea came to him a week ago... LMAO!  This sounds like such a minor league operation to make this decision.  Rio made them look good for a day, but what happens when he botches double play turns the next couple of days?  The O's have an obligation to field a Major League team.  I don't see this ending well -  Hopefully I'm wrong.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ruzious said:

3rd base and 2nd base are so dramatically different - unlike 2nd and SS.  With Rio having so little experience playing up the middle... I'd love for it to work, but the chances are so much against it.  

I mean, Hyde admitted the idea came to him a week ago... LMAO!  This sounds like such a minor league operation to make this decision.  Rio made them look good for a day, but what happens when he botches double play turns the next couple of days?  The O's have an obligation to field a Major League team.  I don't see this ending well -  Hopefully I'm wrong.  

While I don't disagree with anything you said I'd rather see Ruiz out there over Jones.

My memory isn’t what it used to be, but how often did Ruiz play the lefty shift as a deep 2nd baseman? If that happened 5-10 times a week then he should have a good feel for the timing and  arm action of throwing runners out at first. He probably wasn’t involved with a whole lot of catch and pivot plays at the 2nd base bag, but they can drill him on that an hour a day until he can do it in his sleep. I think in a couple months we won’t even remember he was a third baseman. 

15 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

My memory isn’t what it used to be, but how often did Ruiz play the lefty shift as a deep 2nd baseman? If that happened 5-10 times a week then he should have a good feel for the timing and  arm action of throwing runners out at first. He probably wasn’t involved with a whole lot of catch and pivot plays at the 2nd base bag, but they can drill him on that an hour a day until he can do it in his sleep. I think in a couple months we won’t even remember he was a third baseman. 

Yeah, turning the DP will be the real measure, but I was pleasantly impressed with his play yesterday.

I feel like that was one of the most impressive defensive games I ever seen from Ruiz. At least three nice plays at second and he made it all look effortless.

Speaking of "effortless" wasn't great watching Franco commit an error at third, then not even run out his groundballs to first... Not a great way to start your first game with a new organization.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A case can be made that in a game in which the number of balls put into play is at an all time low that defense has never been less important.

I'm not sure I agree with that, given how valuable baserunners are when HR are so plentiful, but the case can be made.

O's combined for 8 K's yesterday. That statistic probably wouldnt stand out in 1976. Theres always going to be a need for good defense unless teams start averaging 20+ K's per game. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How long did that last?

A game.  But come to think of it, it might have been Decinces to 2B; not SS.  If so, that's the same change for Ruiz.  Maybe that was the inspiration for Hyde's ungenius move.