The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Like I said, I'd like to hear his explanation. If this is the worst decision he makes, I'm pretty happy. Look at the Yankees guy failing to challenge one game and then bunting with two strikes in the same series. 

Boone was told by the umpires that he had run out of time to challenge and that's why he lost his mind and got heaved.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly, he failed to challenge. Taking too long is completely on him.

Yeah although umps were pretty quick to tell him that he had run out of time. It was understandable that he was upset. I'm not convinced a challenge would have changed either call though.

1 hour ago, LocoChris said:

Yeah although umps were pretty quick to tell him that he had run out of time. It was understandable that he was upset. I'm not convinced a challenge would have changed either call though.

1.   He didn’t leave the base early. 
2.   The throw was so pathetic that it wouldn’t have made a difference.  It would have been crazy to overturn that call unless it was blatantly obvious that he left early.   Which it wasn’t.  

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.   He didn’t leave the base early. 
2.   The throw was so pathetic that it wouldn’t have made a difference.  It would have been crazy to overturn that call unless it was blatantly obvious that he left early.   Which it wasn’t.  

I thought we were talking about the tag of Judge at third and the ump saying that the second run didn't score. That's when Boone went off on the umps.

59 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I thought we were talking about the tag of Judge at third and the ump saying that the second run didn't score. That's when Boone went off on the umps.

You’re right.   I was thinking of the video challenge later.   Brain fart.  

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I disagree with leaving DJ Stewart in the game, regardless of what he says.  It's 2021.  We understand the dangers of concussions.

Did we have anyone that could play RF.  I guess you could have used Mancini in RF and put Mountcastle at First and lost the DH.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Did we have anyone that could play RF.  I guess you could have used Mancini in RF and put Mountcastle at First and lost the DH.

Or Mountcastle to RF and lose the DH.  

Or Ruiz to 2B and Valaika to RF 

Doesn't matter.  If you have a roster where you have to leave someone in because you have no replacement, that's a poorly constructed roster.

After an incident like that, someone should be taken out of the game and checked for a concussion.  Period. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sulser’s mediocre performance today has me second guessing my own second guess of Hyde’s decision to stick with Valdez over Sulser last night.   

All of the guys are pretty mediocre, but they all have their days. But bringing in Valdes instead of any of the other guys was a recipe for disaster, and disaster happened, we were just able to get past it. Today on the other hand disaster happened again, and I’m about to the point where I think Brandon Hyde has no idea what he’s doing when he brings in a reliever. I think he just flipping a coin or throwing a dart at a dartboard.

No, he’s rolling an eight sided die that’s what he’s doing.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Or Mountcastle to RF and lose the DH.  

Or Ruiz to 2B and Valaika to RF 

Doesn't matter.  If you have a roster where you have to leave someone in because you have no replacement, that's a poorly constructed roster.

After an incident like that, someone should be taken out of the game and checked for a concussion.  Period. 

You are absolutely correct, take him out, and sit in for the next game or two. Let McKenna play.

I don’t remember the rules on backdating injury list stints, but I don’t think Stewart would have to go on the I L for the entire seven days.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

You are absolutely correct, take him out, and sit in for the next game or two. Let McKenna play.

I don’t remember the rules on backdating injury list stints, but I don’t think Stewart would have to go on the I L for the entire seven days.

There is a concussion IL, if he has a concussion.  It's shorter than the regular DL.  Not sure how short.

• Thanks 1