The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Why take out the team's top young pitcher after only five innings when he's been completely dominant?  He doesn't even have 100 pitches.  And then Hyde relieves him with Keegan Akin's trash.  I'm sorry, I don't care if the O's are up by 6 runs.  It's just a bad decision -- one of things I hate most about today's game.

Welp, he went 91 pitches and the O's haven't conditioned him to go deeper into games than that.

I don't have the numbers on hand but I'm not sure he ever hit 100 pitches in a start in the minors, if he did it was pretty rare.

Why take out the team's top young pitcher after only five innings when he's been completely dominant?  He doesn't even have 100 pitches.  And then Hyde relieves him with Keegan Akin's trash.  I'm sorry, I don't care if the O's are up by 6 runs.  It's just a bad decision -- one of things I hate most about today's game.

I suspect Hyde has some pretty specific instructions from the FO regarding Grayson's innings/pitches management. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Welp, he went 91 pitches and the O's haven't conditioned him to go deeper into games than that.

I don't have the numbers on hand but I'm not sure he ever hit 100 pitches in a start in the minors, if he did it was pretty rare.

I guess, but he's pitched 5 innings in the majors in 3 other games already this season.  When is the time to give him that extra inning or two?  I would think pretty darn soon -- especially when he's dominant, obviously.  I see he's pitched 6 or more innings in the minors several times but don't know the pitch counts.  I'm probably overreacting but it just felt too early to take him out.  I'm following the game online rather than watching it but what an exciting pitcher he is already -- even if it is against one of the weakest hitting teams in the league.

I guess, but he's pitched 5 innings in the majors in 3 other games already this season.  When is the time to give him that extra inning or two?  I would think pretty darn soon -- especially when he's dominant, obviously.  I see he's pitched 6 or more innings in the minors several times but don't know the pitch counts.  I'm probably overreacting but it just felt too early to take him out.  I'm following the game online rather than watching it but what an exciting pitcher he is already -- even if it is against one of the weakest hitting teams in the league.

I've been wanting them to let him pitch deeper into games for years now.

My guess is part of the reason he was pulled today was because he was in line for his first win.

35 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

14 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

He threw 30 pitches in the 5th, that’s why.  He was clearly tiring.   

I think The Grayson Rules this year are probably about as sharp as The Jordan Rules.

Hopefully this peak test tube baby scenario is a one and done, and the choices of the last few years help the fastballs keep firing full strength all decade long.

The basic strategy of what does MLB do with Arms is fluid, maybe even triple dog dare fluid if they check Bill Parcells Planet Theory boxes.    To really lean into the shtick, Madison Bumgarner might as well be Warren Spahn or Jim Palmer.     If you can load manage Corbin Burnes into 2000 Pedro, what can you do with a bigger talent?

Plus in Arb you can point out how the production is so much less than Aaron Nola.