The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wish the beat reporters would ask more questions about the rationale behind strategic decisions Hyde makes, and fewer “how big was this win tonight” type questions.   Though questions about wins are always good.  

Was he ever asked about putting Jorge Lopez into that game on Sunday? I’d love an answer to that. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wish the beat reporters would ask more questions about the rationale behind strategic decisions Hyde makes, and fewer “how big was this win tonight” type questions.   Though questions about wins are always good.  

He will have to answer some tough questions from the national media in the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Was he ever asked about putting Jorge Lopez into that game on Sunday? I’d love an answer to that. 

I don't have a problem putting him in to finish the inning. It was bringing him back out that had me screaming at the TV. You have to be happy with anything you get from him and to not push your luck. I felt like Hyde left him out there to fail. 

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't have a problem putting him in to finish the inning. It was bringing him back out that had me screaming at the TV. You have to be happy with anything you get from him and to not push your luck. I felt like Hyde left him out there to fail. 

But see that’s only because he got the outs. If he struggles in the sixth, everyone’s (rightfully) asking why he was put into such an important game at all with a rested bullpen. 

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

But see that’s only because he got the outs. If he struggles in the sixth, everyone’s (rightfully) asking why he was put into such an important game at all with a rested bullpen. 

I hear you but he does pitch well in short spirts. You may disagree with me but I don't think that was an egregious error. Bringing him back out was. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yep, I don't think the stats would support this, especially considering the present state of the O's bullpen

I bet the stats do in fact support that.  This entire organization runs on numbers and the decisions are based on those.  It also was probably why they didn’t have them up at first but then moved them in once there was two strikes which probably suggest weaker contact.  

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

In general Hyde has clearly done well. Managers make many decisions that look good when they pan out and of course look poor when they don’t. 

He has really done a nice job keeping these guys on an even keel. Of course most managers look good when their teams plate on a 100 win pace. 

I always thought he would be here until they were competitive and then someone else would be brought in. But I am happy with him and the job he has done. No manager is right all the time. 

There are many things we have questioned from Frazier to Ohearn to Mateo. All in all, his way has been the right way. The new Oriole Way. 

Me too.  I thought for sure he was a transitional manager when he started out.  But either he grew into being the youngster/underperforming vet whisperer or it was a behind the scenes attribute that Elias had identified - which ever it was, I'm glad it's occurred and happy for him.

• Upvote 1

They are trying to win, and they are trying to restore Lopez to what he was when we traded him.  Sometimes, that requires putting him into high leverage situations and testing him, even if there’s some risk to winning the game.  It didn’t go well, but I understand giving him the opportunity.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They are trying to win, and they are trying to restore Lopez to what he was when we traded him.  Sometimes, that requires putting him into high leverage situations and testing him, even if there’s some risk to winning the game.  It didn’t go well, but I understand giving him the opportunity.  

I agree, but that was the worst game/situation to "test him". 

22 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Where can I find a pair of those 20/20 glasses you have on?

Mostly kidding but so easy to decide what are good and bad situations well after the outcome is known.

Given the importance of that game, no hindsight is required on that one. 

He's not even eligible for the postseason roster, so "testing him" seems rather pointless anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Given the importance of that game, no hindsight is required on that one. 

He's not even eligible for the postseason roster, so "testing him" seems rather pointless anyway. 

We are playing for a chance to win the AL East and be the #1 Seed in the AL. There are no games that are unimportant. But we have to keep giving people opportunities. Most of these guys are already prettty gassed. It’s all hands on deck.