The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I actually thought Baker threw the ball well.  He had Hayward 0-2 and threw 4 pitchers pitches and Heyward spit on all 4 of them.   He gets ahead of Taylor and never really got another fastball above the zone for rp the chase.     I’m going to give the Dodger hitters, especially, Heyward the credit.   Would have loved to see GRod get through the 6th.    Hicks should have had Freeman’s ball but it’s partly GRods fault for such a hittable pitch.    Win some.  Lose some.

If you're going to give Baker credit for *almost* getting a strikeout, you have to mention that the first hitter he faced crushed a middle-middle fastball and came within a few feet of giving the Dodgers the lead then and there.

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I actually thought Baker threw the ball well.  He had Hayward 0-2 and threw 4 pitchers pitches and Heyward spit on all 4 of them.   He gets ahead of Taylor and never really got another fastball above the zone for rp the chase.     I’m going to give the Dodger hitters, especially, Heyward the credit.   Would have loved to see GRod get through the 6th.    Hicks should have had Freeman’s ball but it’s partly GRods fault for such a hittable pitch.    Win some.  Lose some.

I think he thought he had Heyward on the third pitch and that turned the whole inning around.

The pitch to Taylor was a good pitch, it was just the exact same pitch and location he had just thrown twice before. Clearly did not want to risk throwing a slider with the bases loaded. Well, what do you know, he ambushes a FB. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he thought he had Heyward on the third pitch and that turned the whole inning around.

The pitch to Taylor was a good pitch, it was just the exact same pitch and location he had just thrown twice before. Clearly did not want to risk throwing a slider with the bases loaded. Well, what do you know, he ambushes a FB. 

It was terrible pitch Selection IMO …… a good breaking ball would’ve resulted in a K. How many fastballs did he throw in a row? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It was terrible pitch Selection IMO …… a good breaking ball would’ve resulted in a K. How many fastballs did he throw in a row? 

You nailed it perfectly.  If he was going fastball it should have been up and in.  I don't know who was calling location last night but it was consistently bad even for GRod.  

10 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Is there ever a situation where you bring in Cano to get get you out of the 6th? If so, was that one?

Not saying this is right or wrong, but in this scenario lets say Cano gets out of the 6th and even pitches a clean 7th. Orioles up 2. Who pitches the 8th? You'd be in the same boat. Its less a "when to pitch Cano" problem and more a "we just dont have more than 2 reliable guys on a night to night basis" problem. You've got Coulombe and Baker for the 8th and if they blow it then, this thread is going nuts about "HOW COULDNT YOU SAVE CANO FOR THE 8th!!!"

3 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Not saying this is right or wrong, but in this scenario lets say Cano gets out of the 6th and even pitches a clean 7th. Orioles up 2. Who pitches the 8th? You'd be in the same boat. Its less a "when to pitch Cano" problem and more a "we just dont have more than 2 reliable guys on a night to night basis" problem. You've got Coulombe and Baker for the 8th and if they blow it then, this thread is going nuts about "HOW COULDNT YOU SAVE CANO FOR THE 8th!!!"

I have more Trust for Baker / Bauman entering a clean inning. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

I have more Trust for Baker / Bauman entering a clean inning. 

Yea I hear you, I do too. Inheriting runners is hard. And you need great relievers to keep those from scoring. But we've seen plenty of clean innings turn to not clean with our middle relief this year as well. I think we all agree we need 2 additional relievers, or a starter + reliever which pushes someone to the pen this deadline

13 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Sig should have a computer program that calculate when a 6th inning men on situation becomes higher leverage than 8th inning clean. I am pretty sure such situations exist. I agree with your overall point, Baumann and Baker need to be replaced if they can't do better. A good bullpen arm rental shouldn't cost much.

GROD should have never started the 6th inning. Let the young man enjoy a one run performance against the Dodgers. He did his job! Coulombe or Vespi should have been in to start the 6th. You had Freeman and Muncy due up. Baker is our third trusted reliever. Not sure who calls the pitches but throwing two off speed pitches to Heyward after the count reached 2-2 was terrible! He was close on some of the high fastballs away. Should have been more fastballs on outside corner. Pitch calling again vs Taylor was terrible. I see Adley looking toward the dugout. Is he calling the pitches or someone in the dugout. 
BTW the second guessing of Hyde thread seems to have more pages than the praise Hyde thread. We must be a terrible team 😂.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sig should have a computer program that calculate when a 6th inning men on situation becomes higher leverage than 8th inning clean. I am pretty sure such situations exist. I agree with your overall point, Baumann and Baker need to be replaced if they can't do better. A good bullpen arm rental shouldn't cost much.

Agreed. Seems to me Baker and Bauman have not been great coming into non clean innings recently.  This game wasn't a must win I suppose.. but these type of losses can start something we don't want.

1 hour ago, Baltimorecuse said:

You nailed it perfectly.  If he was going fastball it should have been up and in.  I don't know who was calling location last night but it was consistently bad even for GRod.  

The pitch before was a riser that didn’t elevate enough to get out of the zone and was fouled off. Bakers breaking balls to the previous hitters were poor as well. I guess he clearly didn’t have a breaking ball. I assume he didn’t want to throw a charge up with his location being off.

My biggest concern with Baker and Baumann has been their walk totals.   Baker came in and threw strikes last night.  I understand the second guessing on some of the pitch selection and/location.   I love an up and in fastball as much as the next guy.  Obviously, Baker and Adley thought Taylor was looking or protecting against the slider and thought they’d eventually beat him with the fastball.   Didn’t work out.   

Meanwhile, the Rays lost in the 9th on a wild pitch with two outs in a tie game.