The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I agree.  Taking him out before bot 7 would have been ideal.   I don’t see any good arguments to putting Fuji in that situation when Grayson was performing as he was. 

How was Grayson performing at the present time?

Fuji came in for Grayson in the top of the 7th of a 0-0 game vs Yankees, with a runner on 1st. Grayson pitched very well that game too, but it was the end of the line for him at 97 pitches.

Edited by DirtyBird

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How was Grayson performing at the present time?

Throwing 100 & hitting spots.  He was overly careful (as he should be) against the two best bats in the lineup.  One of which was a 9 pitch battle.  He didn’t walk two guys in 8 pitches.  He was incredibly careful know a guy was 1 for 36 was sitting on deck.  He was performing admirably.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Throwing 100 & hitting spots.  He was overly careful (as he should be) against the two best bats in the lineup.  One of which was a 9 pitch battle.  He didn’t walk two guys in 8 pitches.  He was incredibly careful know a guy was 1 for 36 was sitting on deck.  He was performing admirably.  

Yes. If his spot was center cut, he was hitting spot. I tend to believe that wasn't what he was going for.
image.png.c3c7b948454422bed7eb0362b4fbaf0d.png

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He had a 24 pitch inning in the 4th and was at 26 pitches in the 6th, had just walked two guys, was at the point of the game where he had fallen apart in all of his starts, Springer had just gotten an RBI single in his last AB.

Of course he needed to come out. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Couldn’t disagree more.  Springer is beyond lost and has the Chris Davis face going on right now.  He flared a bloop into CF.   

What’s ridiculous is to put a guy with 5 walks over the last 6.2 in the game with two men on base. 

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes. If his spot was center cut, he was hitting spot. I tend to believe that wasn't what he was going for.
image.png.c3c7b948454422bed7eb0362b4fbaf0d.png

And what did one of ten games best hitters do with those 100 & 99 mph fastballs?  Nothing. It’s called reading the bat.   Springer was going to do better? Vladdy couldn’t get one fair, knew what was coming, and that was his 3rd AB of the night. Speinger comes up and Ks on 3 FB in a row.  I’m done now. 

Edited by emmett16

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

And what did one of ten games best hitter ado with those 100 & 99 mph fastballs?  Nothing. It’s called reading the bat.   Springer was going to do better? Vladdy couldn’t get one fair, knew what was coming, and that was his 3rd AB of the night. Speinger comes up and Ks on 3 FB in a row.  I’m done now. 

Vlad walked

People were criticizing the pitching moves yesterday, but I was wondering why McCann was batting in the 9th.  I'm guessing we'd used the entire bench by that point?  Seemed weird for him not to be pinch hit for.  I don't care about losing the DH if we can't tie the game.

1 minute ago, Morgan423 said:

People were criticizing the pitching moves yesterday, but I was wondering why McCann was batting in the 9th.  I'm guessing we'd used the entire bench by that point?  Seemed weird for him not to be pinch hit for.  I don't care about losing the DH if we can't tie the game.

McCann had one of the teams few hits.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I believe the thing that frustrated me most about last night was watching Fuji implode while Aaron Hicks came in and dominated for the Blue Jays. I really felt we missed an opportunity to bring in another good reliever to help this bullpen. It showed last night. I think getting another reliever was more important than getting a starter

I 100% agree. Fuji is an interesting guy and I am glad we got him. However, he is not the solution to our 6th/7th inning issues. He's not going to hit two guys all the time, but his wildness is a known risk. Aroldis Chapman or similar would have been useful there and worth the cost. That's an Elias issue, not a Hyde one. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I 100% agree. Fuji is an interesting guy and I am glad we got him. However, he is not the solution to our 6th/7th inning issues. He's not going to hit two guys all the time, but his wildness is a known risk. Aroldis Chapman or similar would have been useful there and worth the cost. That's an Elias issue, not a Hyde one. 

Chapman has control problems too. 

54 minutes ago, baltfan said:

McCann had one of the teams few hits.

So?

Unless a guy's been absolutely on fire the last couple of games, I'm going to trust his ability at any given time to be what he's shown me season-to-date, which for McCann is a sub-200 batting average and a .570 OPS.   

I don't want the second coming of César Izturis batting in the ninth when I'm down by three and critically need base runners. 

Edited by Morgan423

28 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Chapman has control problems too. 

Zero HBP this year... It is true he has some blown saves recently but I think it is fair to say Fuji's issues are on another level. Larger point is they could have gotten a reliable bullpen arm and didn't do that.