Scott Garceau

Robh21223

On 5/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, Philip said:

There’s a story about Tom Landry having to cut one of his players who was also a very dear personal friend and very active in several Christian organizations along with Tom, and if I remember correctly, Tom was telling the team that he had had to cut this man, and he burst into tears.

The point is if that if a guy is terrible it doesn’t matter if he’s a nice guy. Melanie Newman may be the most wonderful human being God ever created, but she is an awful announcer in every possible way. I can’t bear listening to her, I feel like I’m in a therapy session. That she remains employed-or was hired in the first place-reveals too much about the judgement of Management..

Garceau doesn’t bother me as much as some do, But if he’s the most respected broadcaster in Baltimore than sheesh, there’s a real problem.

My opinions match yours.  Melanie is awful as a play by play or color announcer.   But my other opinion is that Geoff Arnold is even worse.   And put the two of them together, and hooo boy, is that bad radio.   

On 5/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sports Guy said:

Echoing what Tony said, it almost feels like you are doing something wrong criticizing the guy.  

I have always heard that he is the nicest guy and he definitely knows Baltimore sports.  

He just seems a little out of his element now but really, it’s also hard to be excited about such a bad team while calling games from hundreds of miles away.  That isn’t easy.

Scott is indeed the nicest of people.  Super nice guy, which I think makes it harder for all of us to criticize him.  

Pressbox tried to make that same argument as some others have made regarding calling games on a monitor and that affecting Scott, basically harping on calling a game off a monitor and trying to say that was his issue.    But of course, PressBox completely ignored the fact that only 50% of games are on the road where he's using the monitor, and the other 50% are home games where he's seeing the game live in front of him..... and no matter home game or away game on the monitor, all broadcasts by him have been a struggle and a tough watch/listen. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, Yardball85 said:

I know he isn't popular around here, but Jim Hunter was very good at this.  Jim was good at a lot of those types of things, he was just a  big homer. 

Hunter, while nauseating at times because of the blind homerism, was actually a pretty competent radio game caller.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't see any reference in this thread to the probable reason we're stuck with these announcers (other than Palmer and McDonald): they work cheap, and that's all that really matters.

I am sure Kevin Brown is cheap and he’s the best by a long stretch, he’s terrific. He needs to be full time.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I am sure Kevin Brown is cheap and he’s the best by a long stretch, he’s terrific. He needs to be full time.

He's not doing O's games this weekend because he's been doing pbp for college softball on ESPN

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Scott Garceau is more sterile than my grandfather whose in his grave. How ownership listened to this guy call games and went "Yeah let's hire him and make him the full time announcer" over Gary Thorne is absolutely horrendous.

You’ll drive yourself insane if you try to figure out the logic behind all the decisions ownership has made during their tenure.

My belief is most of the moves made to the television & radio announcers was about bringing in cheaper talent. No way Garceau is getting paid close to what Thorne was making. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You’ll drive yourself insane if you try to figure out the logic behind all the decisions ownership has made during their tenure.

My belief is most of the moves made to the television & radio announcers was about bringing in cheaper talent. No way Garceau is getting paid close to what Thorne was making. 

>Logic
>Angelos ownership
Pick one.

Oh yeah it was most definately because MASN lost money last year. The Nats can hide that way better than the Orioles can.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

>Logic
>Angelos ownership
Pick one.

Oh yeah it was most definately because MASN lost money last year. The Nats can hide that way better than the Orioles can.

I think most likely thing in the future will be MASN getting sold to Fox Sports Net or form a partnership, but only after a sale of the Orioles. 

Outside of baseball there’s never a good reason to watch MASN. And with the current state of the Orioles only the most hardcore baseball fans are going to watch the games now. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think most likely thing in the future will be MASN getting sold to Fox Sports Net or form a partnership, but only after a sale of the Orioles. 

Outside of baseball there’s never a good reason to watch MASN. And with the current state of the Orioles only the most hardcore baseball fans are going to watch the games now. 

Considering that the Angelos boys are fine money wise, I don't see that happening anytime soon. MASN content sans baseball has been an issue for years that no one wants to address at the network or at least the executives aren't interested in reinvesting there.