April 21: Orioles go for mini-sweep in Miami

SteveA

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

I want to play the hot guys, not play the guys who might get hot.

I think when you have guys at similar talent levels you want to keep them all fresh.   Think that pays off over time.

I'm not talking about a guy who is a clear #2 catcher like whoever backs up Salvador Perez in KC.   Or a guy who is purely a utility infielder to serve as backups and only starts when someone is hurt or resting.   But we don't have that level of distinction.   Urias/Ruiz, which one is clearly better?   Mountcastle/Stewart/Mullins/SantanderHays, same.

But I don't see the point of benching one of Santander/Stewart/Mountcastle/Mullins/Hays for any long period of time.   Pick your spots, like LH/RH matchups, a guy needing rest, etc.    Against a tough lefty, this is the perfect spot for DJ not to play and Mountcastle to play.   And it's not like DJ is a Gold Glove LFer.

Trevor Richards in his career so far holds LH hitters to 30 points lower batting avg and 90 points lower OPS than righties.