Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if he was healthy he might not has ever pitched at that level.

He fits the criteria.

My guess is Bundy would have started 2013 in AA.   Whether he would have gone straight to the majors from there or to AAA is anyone’s guess.   I do recall that the starting pitching sucked in the first half of 2013 (which is why we traded for Feldman and Norris), so there’s a good chance they would have brought Bundy up straight from AA.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say we've hit upon enough examples to show it does happen with some regularity.

And that just because you skip AAA, it doesn’t mean it’s career crippling or that you are rushed or that you can’t continue your development in the majors.

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

You guys know Adley is going to AAA later this year right and will be up in 2022?  Is constantly reminding us you oppose that decision therapeutic for you all in some way?

But By God Man!, if we get him up here this summer we could win 59 games!

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But By God Man!, if we get him up here this summer we could win 59 games!

That comment is in response to a comment no one made.

No one is saying that Adley should be promoted this season so that the O's will win more games this season.

More enticing product to watch maybe.

Would lead to better development for the player.

Is the ethical employment practice sure.

No one is saying hey if we promote Adley we'll win a few more games this season and that matters.

I think the O's should do it because attacking worker rights is the wrong thing to do.  I don't think they are acting in good faith.  Just because he received a significant signing bonus doesn't make it right.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say we've hit upon enough examples to show it does happen with some regularity.

The original post was something about most good prospects skip AAA. I think, at least in the Orioles' case, this shows that most do not skip AAA. It's not unheard of, but the percentages would still be pretty low.

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

The original post was something about most good prospects skip AAA. I think, at least in the Orioles' case, this shows that most do not skip AAA. It's not unheard of, but the percentages would still be pretty low.

But then you run into the issue of how many of the Oriole prospects would qualify as "really good".

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one is saying that Adley should be promoted this season so that the O's will win more games this season.

No one is saying hey if we promote Adley we'll win a few more games this season and that matters.

I think the O's should do it because attacking worker rights is the wrong thing to do.  I don't think they are acting in good faith.  Just because he received a significant signing bonus doesn't make it right.

I think you have some points that are at least open for debate and some that are probably true.

I have read quite a few posts along the line that "he's better than what we have" and "I'm tired of watching these guys," which sounds to me like they think it would make the Orioles a little better, at least. While that is probably true, it's not a good reason to bring him up now, as you've said.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First of all, BS.

Plenty of people are making the argument, including you, that the O's should have been more aggressive in looking to win this year.

And when shown how signing FAs, or making trades, would have been pretty futile, the conversation then shifts into being more aggressive with promotions.  Namely, Adley's.

Would he lead to a better product to watch?  Undoubtedly.

Would it lead to better player development?  We don't know that.  And claiming you do is false.

Is it ethical employment practice?  Who are you?   Cesar Chavez?  The multi-millionaire Adley Rutschman is getting along ok.  Framing it as some moral crusade is laughable.

The reasons for not promoting Adley have been laid out dozens of times.  They are imminently reasonable.  The O's handling of Adley is pretty much the norm across the industry.

You don't like it?  Great.

We heard you the first two dozen times.

• Thanks 1

Here’s my question: if keeping Adley down is solely about service time manipulation and he’s undoubtedly ready for the majors right now, why haven’t they moved Adley to Norfolk?   That doesn’t start his service time clock, and it prepares him better for the majors than playing in AA does, if he’s mastered AA.

To me the obvious answer is, they don’t think he’s done developing at the AA level and think that’s the best place for his development.   

Personally, I’m happy about it, because I’m headed to Bowie tonight to see him and Grayson Rodriguez and the rest of our Bowie prospects.   Looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1