Every now and then, the Sports Gods throw you a bone: John Means' No Hitter

Sanfran327

I guess the Ray Miller thread got merged with this one, which is too bad, because Miller deserved his own thread unrelated to John Means.   

I remember in 2004 we had an extremely young, inexperienced staff.   The pitching coach got fired  in late June and Miller came back to coach the O’s.    Before his arrival, the team ERA was 5.35.   After, it was 4.22.   The guy knew what he was doing.    

He was a big part of our pitching success during our dynasty years.   I’m sorry he’s gone so soon.  

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I watched this first thing this morning on ESPN app on my phone.  My first thought was I wonder if that guy is part of OH.  Please send him all of our best!  Glad he is doing a little better and maybe we see the O's in the playoffs again soon!

Thanks so much... Scott had also  just been awarded the Officer of the Year award by the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation for his work in their Badges for Baseball program for the last 13 years.  Scott played at Towson for Billy Hunter and has just retired after 30 plus years as first a Baltimore City and then NC DARE officer. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CObA5g7L7SP/?igshid=a02f385g9178

• Upvote 1

A buddy of mine who knows I live and die with the Orioles called and texted me multiple times starting in the 7th inning to let me know what was going on.  I was in the grocery store shopping and didn't notice his attempts to reach me.  As I was leaving the store my phone rang and it was him.  In short, my friend put his phone on speaker so I could sit in my car in the parking lot and listen to the 9th inning over the phone.

That... is the very definition of a true friend.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Olson closed it out. It was against Oakland. I remember watching it. 

Flanagan was in it. 

Mark Williamson. 

I want to say Milacki started that game. 

I was at The Vet for a Phillies/Giants game that day.  They flashed "Orioles 4 pitcher no-hitter" on the scoreboard.  I remember thinking "If the 1st the first pitcher didn't give up a hit, why was there a 2nd.  If the 2nd pitcher didn't give up a hit, why the 3rd?"  Obviously there were reasons, that is just the first thing that popped into my head at the time.