Franco at third base? Thoughts.

Natty

So like Franco is our third baseman now. What do you think?

What if we had a third baseman who could hit 31HR and 90 RBI in a season? Didn't we have one in 2019, and dumped him like a hot potato? Anyone remember that  guy? Does anyone  think Franco will ever do that? 

7 minutes ago, Natty said:

What if we had a third baseman who could hit 31HR and 90 RBI in a season? Didn't we have one in 2019, and dumped him like a hot potato? Anyone remember that  guy? Does anyone  think Franco will ever do that?

Nunez was not a competent defensive 3B, even compared to Franco.   

FWIW when looking at Franco's career splits, May is his worst hitting month by far with a .581 OPS and his next lowest hitting month is August with a .682 OPS.

It's not a perfect measure, but I'm expecting Franco will bust out of this slump and start hitting better. Also Nunez is not passable in the slightest defensively at 3B. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Compare errors and fielding percentage at 3B and report back to us. 

Fielding%: Franco .956, Nunez .919

Errors: Franco 73 in 5908.2 innings (one every 81 innings), Nunez 15 in 625.2 innings (one every 42 innings)

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fielding%: Franco .956, Nunez .919

Errors: Franco 73 in 5908.2 innings (one every 81 innings), Nunez 15 in 625.2 innings (one every 42 innings)

My bad I meant compare fielding at 3b in games played with The Orioles. 

2 hours ago, Natty said:

The guy we dumped had so little value that not only was he non-tendered by the Oreos, he wasn’t picked up on a major league contract by anyone. Defense is important.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

The guy we dumped had so little value that not only was he non-tendered by the Oreos, he wasn’t picked up on a major league contract by anyone. Defense is important.

Yea shucks guys that hit 31 HR and 90 RBIs are a dime a dozen. Look how many we have on our team. 

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

Yea shucks guys that hit 31 HR and 90 RBIs are a dime a dozen. Look how many we have on our team. 

I think the point kind of stands.   Nobody gave Nunez a major league contract, and now he’s playing in the minor league organization of the worst team in the majors (where he’s currently hitting .154).   I do think Nunez was an okay piece for us the last couple of years, but he is NOT a 3B (he barely played there in 2019-20) and for whatever reason he’s looked terrible offensively this year so far (including spring training and a few regular season games for the Tigers).    

I said it in the game thread on the 110 mph DP he started tonight, when he good, he's really really good! Then sometimes he drops his shoulder and slings it sidearm to 1B and  misses by a mile.

He hits really good... sometimes...

He is what he is, for THIS team. And he's pretty cheap. And better than Rio. :noidea:

• 2 weeks later...