Lengthy Article On Angelos (Defector)

Can_of_corn

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of political propaganda too like the paragraph about Epstein. 

Still broken hearted about Jon Miller. I knew him. He was also heartbroken to leave. Just an absolute tragedy IMHO.

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Damn, that's a long article.  I read a lot of it, skimmed a lot of it...I can tell it's very well researched, that's for sure.  But not only does it lay down how Angelos acquired the Orioles and all his mishaps along the way, it does a fantastic job of talking about Edward Bennett Williams and Eli Jacobs and their stints as owners, too.

I forgot Angelos told Oates to play Leo Gomez over Chris Sabo.  

Please tell us anything you can about Jon Miller, Nelson C.   He was incredible.

Also, did not the incident with Ripken being late for the flight occur while Frank Wren was GM; thus after Davey Johnson years>\?

Edited by Dreadnought

9 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Please tell us anything you can about Jon Miller, Nelson C.   He was incredible.

Also, did not the incident with Ripken being late for the flight occur while Frank Wren was GM; thus after Davey Johnson years>\?

It’s a long personal story that I can’t share on a public forum but knew the situation well when it happened and even saw him a day or two before he left. He had many personal reasons for staying. He wanted to stay more than anything, that I can share with you. He was terribly broken hearted to leave Baltimore for a variety of reasons. 

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Damn, that's a long article.  I read a lot of it, skimmed a lot of it...I can tell it's very well researched, that's for sure.  But not only does it lay down how Angelos acquired the Orioles and all his mishaps along the way, it does a fantastic job of talking about Edward Bennett Williams and Eli Jacobs and their stints as owners, too.

I forgot Angelos told Oates to play Leo Gomez over Chris Sabo.  

I'd never heard of the website before and I was pretty surprised about the amount of effort that went into the article.  Evidently they are folks that used to work at Deadspin. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Lots of political propaganda too like the paragraph about Epstein. 

Still broken hearted about Jon Miller. I knew him. He was also heartbroken to leave. Just an absolute tragedy IMHO.

Miller is why I try to watch/listen to Giants games, just to hear him call it.

How much public financing has he sucked out of the community?

Lots! Angelos’s team plays in a stadium built for $110 million (in early-1990s dollars) of public money. The Maryland Stadium Authority, a state-subsidized agency that owns the stadium, is responsible for upgrades.

This is asinine. $110m, even in early 1990s dollars, is such a far cry from most stadiums. Hell, the new Rangers monstrosity cost nearly $1.2bn to make, with 50% of that coming from the public. $110m in 1988 (when OPACY started construction) would be worth $250m today. HALF of what that Rangers overglorified cattle station cost to the public. It actually opened in 1992, so depending on how you want to split hairs, it'd cost about $210m today, even less than half of that new Rangers stadium.

What this terrible question is leaving out is that stadiums *help* the community. The small businesses that surround the immediate area, the people employed by the team, all of that. Additionally, the larger businesses, too. All of those companies are more likely to employ additional folks and keep them employed. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Maryland Stadium Authority has payments for these stadiums tied to the lottery. So, I don't think it's honest to categorize it as "sucking out of the community". Come on.

14 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

This is asinine. $110m, even in early 1990s dollars, is such a far cry from most stadiums. Hell, the new Rangers monstrosity cost nearly $1.2bn to make, with 50% of that coming from the public. $110m in 1988 (when OPACY started construction) would be worth $250m today. HALF of what that Rangers overglorified cattle station cost to the public. It actually opened in 1992, so depending on how you want to split hairs, it'd cost about $210m today, even less than half of that new Rangers stadium.

What this terrible question is leaving out is that stadiums *help* the community. The small businesses that surround the immediate area, the people employed by the team, all of that. Additionally, the larger businesses, too. All of those companies are more likely to employ additional folks and keep them employed. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Maryland Stadium Authority has payments for these stadiums tied to the lottery. So, I don't think it's honest to categorize it as "sucking out of the community". Come on.

Agree.

In fact, most of the points in this article are salacious and gratuitous sensationalism.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

You are correct. Also this continuing nonsense that Angelos being a local owner and that eased concerns over a move are brought up again. They didn’t build OPACY to have the team leave.