Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I honestly have no confidence that Elias would even take Green with the number 1 pick. Elias really stunk up that last draft and he’s clearly scared to take a pitcher in the first because of his two busted picks with the Astros. In fact, I don’t think he took a pitcher until pretty late last draft. Not a good long term strategy and being “Gun-shy” results in bad decision making.

We have no clue how Elias performed in the last draft and we won’t for a couple years, at least. It’s also a little early to tell what Elias’s strategy on player acquisition is. He might prove to be a guy that drafts bats and trades them for arms that he has seen play against better competition.

There is some evidence that Elias is able to effectively target some interesting minor league pitchers with Bradish, Stallings and Lucas all falling into that category for me.

25 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I honestly have no confidence that Elias would even take Green with the number 1 pick. Elias really stunk up that last draft and he’s clearly scared to take a pitcher in the first because of his two busted picks with the Astros. In fact, I don’t think he took a pitcher until pretty late last draft. Not a good long term strategy and being “Gun-shy” results in bad decision making.

I know the Kjerstad pick looks bad right now (stings me alot), but he also selected Westburg, Haskin and Servideo with the next 3 picks. I watch the minors alot and Westburg and Haskin have been doing really well, especially Westburg. Servideo has been off to a nice little start too. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

What an awful take this is..which means you are being consistent, so I will give you credit there.

56 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

I know the Kjerstad pick looks bad right now (stings me alot), but he also selected Westburg, Haskin and Servideo with the next 3 picks. I watch the minors alot and Westburg and Haskin have been doing really well, especially Westburg. Servideo has been off to a nice little start too. 

FWIW the Astros did miss badly on some first round draft picks (Mark Appel - 2013 & Brady Aiken -2014) during their rebuild, but the rebuild was still an overwhelming success.

And I wasn't big on the Kjerstad selection, but it's too early to write him off. 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

FWIW the Astros did miss badly on some first round draft picks (Mark Appel - 2013 & Brady Aiken -2014) during their rebuild, but the rebuild was still an overwhelming success.

And I wasn't big on the Kjerstad selection, but it's too early to write him off. 

When they rebuilt, what did the Astros bring to the team that they couldn’t have done otherwise?

I think that Elias might be focused on getting that #1 pick.  I could see the O's selling off players at the deadline to make the team worse.  How does this offense look w/o Santander and Mancini?  Of course the O's would still be "trying to win".  I hope they hang onto Means, although he could impair the O's ability to get the #1 pick. 

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think that Elias might be focused on getting that #1 pick.  I could see the O's selling off players at the deadline to make the team worse.  How does this offense look w/o Santander and Mancini?  Of course the O's would still be "trying to win".  I hope they hang onto Means, although he could impair the O's ability to get the #1 pick. 

I would put it as building for the future instead of selling off, but yes the short term effect would be making the O’s worse. 

“Selling off” brings back flashbacks of Syd Thrift’s fire sale of veteran players in 2000 that was a disaster. Elias is hopefully smart enough to trade players like Means, Mancini, etc. only when the return will be worth more in value than just keeping the player.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:15 PM, osravensfan78 said:

I looked for stats for Kjerstad and didn’t see any ...is he injured? Btw for those guys that bashed my criticism for Elias not taking Martin he has an OPS of .800+

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why you felt a need to add that.  I haven't been ripping him for being ill.

The strawman is a common tactic on here I noticed. If you don’t like an Elias’ pick, you must be critical of him personally, wishing him ill will or don’t want the Orioles to succeed. None of which is true on my part and but very upset with that selection at the time it occurred and still don’t like it. 

What worries me is this year’s draft or next. Are you confident he will take Greene in 2022 with the first pick? I’d hope so but…and this year many mocks for us going underslot again which I am not a fan of with some real good players available.