Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Correlation always equals causation!

I assume WC was being a bit facetious.  That's a JTrea-esque leap right there.

Especially since they’ve been teammates all season, yet Grenier only started hitting four games ago.   

If you really want to invent a reason for his brief hot spurt you can make a case that the Ortiz promotion is it. Guy came up and has already made plays I haven't seen Grenier make in any game and I've watched quite a bit of them. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, LTO's said:

If you really want to invent a reason for his brief hot spurt you can make a case that the Ortiz promotion is it. Guy came up and has already made plays I haven't seen Grenier make in any game and I've watched quite a bit of them. 

Nothing like the team promoting a SS prospect to your team to provide some extra motivation. I've watch a decent amount of his PAs and I know he was really struggling with offspeed early in the year. I'll have to check out his hotsteak to see what he was hitting.

Grenier is not quite the defensive stud I thought they were getting when he came out of college, but he does play SS effectively enough to be a utility guy if the bat doesn't pan out enough to be a starter. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

Sound's to me like he is hearing some heavy footsteps behind him at the other levels.

I’m sure he’s hearing the footsteps.   But I doubt he suddenly started hitting because of them (including Ortiz’s promotion).   Nobody needs motivation to hit as well as they can.   

The real question is, has something clicked in during the last few days, or is he just having a brief hot streak like any player can have.   I suspect the latter, but we’ll see.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure he’s hearing the footsteps.   But I doubt he suddenly started hitting because of them (including Ortiz’s promotion).   Nobody needs motivation to hit as well as they can.   

The real question is, has something clicked in during the last few days, or is he just having a brief hot streak like any player can have.   I suspect the latter, but we’ll see.   

I agree with this reasoning, but add that ,sometimes, the best motivator is the competition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's been competing against the opposing pitchers...

That’s how I feel.   Nobody is up there at bat thinking “I don’t really care if I get a hit, so I think I’ll half-ass it.”    It’s been apparent for a long time that if Grenier wants to reach the majors, he’ll have to hit better.   We know it and he knows it.   Motivation might be a factor in things like offseason workouts and in-season routines, but it’s not like you flip a switch off and on and start hitting on Friday because another player got called up on Thursday.   

And, FWIW, the start of Grenier’s hot streak came the game before before Ortiz got called up.    ?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Grenier is not quite the defensive stud I thought they were getting when he came out of college, but he does play SS effectively enough to be a utility guy if the bat doesn't pan out enough to be a starter. 

Is there any real hope of this? I thought Grenier was pretty much a non-prospect at this point? 

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Is there any real hope of this? I thought Grenier was pretty much a non-prospect at this point? 

I'd like to think that a light can go on for someone who has some degree of talent and keeps trying and working at it day after day in spite of what seems like constant failure.  We shall see.