Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

52 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'd like to think that a light can go on for someone who has some degree of talent and keeps trying and working at it day after day in spite of what seems like constant failure.  We shall see.   

Yeah but no one really ever thought Grenier had much talent with the bat, no? Is there any light to go on? 

What has he changed?  Mechanical tweaks?  His approach?  Better pitch recognition?  If he's doing the same things he's always done, it's just a lucky streak.  If he's made some kind of significant change that he can repeat, it could be real.  But, since I've never seen him play a single game in college or the pros, I'll defer to Tony or others that have had a chance to see what he was doing before and what he's doing now.  Having said that, four games.  Can you say short sample size?  Never get too high or low based on such a small sample.  Adley went 0-4 and his average dropped 15 points last night.  Is he now a bum just because of a one game sample?

• Upvote 1

I've noticed his production the past four days or so. The video is tough to see if he has made real adjustments, but I would hope that he has. It is reasonable to think he made some adjustments in minor league spring training that are just now taking hold in his game. It sure would be a welcome development if it is a sign of things to come. 

And as far as the competition, or feeling the heat of Ortiz coming up, could be. It is possible that it made him feel a sense of urgency. Depends on the guy, really. Maybe his pal, Rutschman, noticed something in his swing. Whatever it is, I just hope it is sustainable. I am curious what Buck Britton would say about this.

8 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah but no one really ever thought Grenier had much talent with the bat, no? Is there any light to go on? 

Well, he was a supplemental 1st round pick, so obviously somebody thought he had the potential to hit well enough to be a major leaguer.  

• Upvote 1

McCoy, Bannon, Martin, Urias, Grenier.

McCoy and Bannon seem to have position flexibility.  Urias also.  Martin cannot stay healthy but is intriguing.  Grenier, until very recently, cannot hit.  
Just my opinion but take it with a grain of salt since I have not seen any of them play except for Martin when he was up with the O’s.

2 hours ago, coe76 said:

McCoy and Bannon seem to have position flexibility.  Urias also.  Martin cannot stay healthy but is intriguing.  Grenier, until very recently, cannot hit.  
Just my opinion but take it with a grain of salt since I have not seen any of them play except for Martin when he was up with the O’s.

Grenier's minor league OPS is 21 points higher than Martin's. Just sayin'. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, coe76 said:

Thanks for your opinion. I haven’t gotten a chance to see them if they haven’t been up with the big club. The hard part is that I don’t see us protecting all 5 guys over the offseason. Eventually Galvis will be traded, and Franco will be DFA’d. At that point these guys should get some looks at the MLB level. The O’s have a lot of time invested into Martin, but the guy just can’t stay healthy.