Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

On 6/3/2021 at 9:50 PM, jabba72 said:

3-4 tonite with two 2B. Average up to .273

Also starting at SS with Ortiz at 2B and Vavra in CF.

That suggests to me Elias might like his glove. Still batting 9th though. 

He should. Grenier may not have plus range, but he's steady and has plenty of arm to man the position. He reminds me of Bordick over there. If he's made some real adjustments and the stick is real, he'll be a legitimate SS prospect again. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He should. Grenier may not have plus range, but he's steady and has plenty of arm to man the position. He reminds me of Bordick over there. If he's made some real adjustments and the stick is real, he'll be a legitimate SS prospect again. 

They wouldnt be giving Grenier starts at SS unless they thought he was a prospect there. Just my take. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

If you were rating the O's SS prospects defensively (Grenier, Ortiz, Westburg, Henderson) how would you rank them?

On 6/9/2021 at 5:06 PM, seak05 said:

If you were rating the O's SS prospects defensively (Grenier, Ortiz, Westburg, Henderson) how would you rank them?

The way you listed them is probably the order. Certainly Henderson would be last, you could have an argument about Grenier vs. Ortiz, but I think Grenier, Ortiz, Westburg is probably right. Henderson is probably 50/50 at best to stay at short, Westburg is probably 80/20 to stay at short, and Grenier and Ortiz are definitely shortstops. The only question is whether their bats can carry them to the Majors.

That is why Ortiz hitting this season has been so exciting. He played in such a hitter's paradise in college at New Mexico State that it was hard to get a read on how his bat would play in the pros.

I am surprised that Anthony Servideo hasn't gotten more time at shortstop with Delmarva, as he had as strong or stronger defensive rep than Westburg going into the season. 

The expectation is that Hernaiz (like Henderson) will outgrow short, but no reason to move them before they have to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

The expectation is that Hernaiz (like Henderson) will outgrow short, but no reason to move them before they have to.

Do you think? He’s listed at 6’ 1”/170, which is a pretty slender, athletic frame for short. I haven’t seen any film of him this year, though, and I don’t know if he’s grown since he was drafted. He’s been playing a fair amount of second base so far.

54 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Do you think? He’s listed at 6’ 1”/170, which is a pretty slender, athletic frame for short. I haven’t seen any film of him this year, though, and I don’t know if he’s grown since he was drafted. He’s been playing a fair amount of second base so far.

That was my recollection, but I could be misinformed. Haven't seen enough film or in person to have an opinion (and my opinion there wouldn't be as informed as Tony's!).