MLB.com: Asking price for Santander is “insane”

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Its good to know we're selling high at least. 

Exactly what I'd expect out of Elias. We never know the details of deals that didn't happen but there have to have been some he passed on. We have definitely had players that were desirable to other GMs since he's been here. Took forever to trade Givens, for one.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Exactly what I'd expect out of Elias. We never know the details of deals that didn't happen but there have to have been some he passed on. We have definitely had players that were desirable to other GMs since he's been here. Took forever to trade Givens, for one.

You think he sold high on Bundy?

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m pretty sure that a month before Manny was traded the asking price was also insane… and then, reality.

We had no choice but to move Manny or take the pick when he walked.  Teams were only competing to be first in line.  Everyone knew we were going to have to say yes...

Our prices are not likely to move much if at all because we don't need to move anyone now.  Also, as the article notes, it is entirely possible that the prices will actually go up.

The O's are in a pretty good spot if folks continue to play and remain healthy.

(Knocks on wood)

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

I think the question here is, "are the Orioles a contender with Rutschman, Grayson Rodriguez, and DL Hall living up to expectations?"

If the answer is no, then you absolutely try and trade this season.  If the answer is any degree of yes, then your willingness to trade him is dependent on whether you think the return will be a major league contributor in next 2 years.

My first inclination here was that you should keep him unless you get a monster haul, but I'm thinking it over more carefully, and I wonder if we are actually going to be contenders even if all three of the above prospects hit their ceilings.  That's maybe 15 wins added, 20 if they really knock everyone's socks off.  But the Orioles are basically a 60-65 win team, and even 20 more wins isn't going to move the needle enough.  I think if the Orioles were a 65-70 win team, it would be a drastically different story.  But we're not and we have holes all over the diamond.

Terrific post. What do you think Elias thinks? I think trading Mancini would be horrific. Love that guy, we all do! Davis didn’t have some great connection. If it slows down the rebuild, frankly I am okay with that because at the end of the day we are watching a sport for fun. Need another title, 83 so long ago, but there is a human element too.

22 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Cue the “Crazy Mike” commercial, for those of us that grew up within the NY/NJ/PA area. 

There is a clip I remember but can't find... from SNL maybe.

Crazy Freddy (Krueger) We're SLASHING prices!!!!!

18 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Terrific post. What do you think Elias thinks? I think trading Mancini would be horrific. Love that guy, we all do! Davis didn’t have some great connection. If it slows down the rebuild, frankly I am okay with that because at the end of the day we are watching a sport for fun. Need another title, 83 so long ago, but there is a human element too.

Elias' rhetoric seems to indicate that he wants to go for broke by around 2023 or so.  This tells me that he would need a pretty sizeable haul to part with either Mancini or Santander.  I don't really know if I agree with this take.   I think it's defensible, especially in light of the fact that Elias is not on an infinite duration contract, but I think it's not really the right way to approach the O's rebuilding at this point, because it requires a bit more from our top prospects than I think they can give, plus quite a bit of performance from unknown sources.  Maybe he can turn into Dan Duquette and find a way to turn rocks into Nate McLouth, but he hasn't really shown a propensity for that sort of dealing in the past, so I'm not all that hopeful.

24 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Elias' rhetoric seems to indicate that he wants to go for broke by around 2023 or so.  This tells me that he would need a pretty sizeable haul to part with either Mancini or Santander.  I don't really know if I agree with this take.   I think it's defensible, especially in light of the fact that Elias is not on an infinite duration contract, but I think it's not really the right way to approach the O's rebuilding at this point, because it requires a bit more from our top prospects than I think they can give, plus quite a bit of performance from unknown sources.  Maybe he can turn into Dan Duquette and find a way to turn rocks into Nate McLouth, but he hasn't really shown a propensity for that sort of dealing in the past, so I'm not all that hopeful.

No, he doesn’t have a history of that which is important. I think we will be “rebuilding” until Angelos passes. 

The way I see it, there's no immediate need to trade either Santander or Mancini.  The O's have a lot of good prospects at AA and below, but they don't have any OF/1B types at Norfolk who are making a compelling case that they need to be called up.  Maybe Yusniel Diaz or Johnny Rizer will force the issue later this season or next season.  

You could make a timing argument that Mancini will never be more valuable than he is now, but I believe that he's a very good hitter who is likely to look like a very good hitter this time next year, or over the offseason.  Trading Santander right now would certainly not be selling high.