Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sometimes you gotta know when to let up and field a ball on the bounce. Just way too overly aggressive for the situation. It's a lack of baseball IQ.

He could’ve had that ball, he should’ve had it.

I would much rather he be aggressive, but he should have caught it.

Edited by Philip

Just now, Philip said:

He could’ve had that ball, he should’ve had it

Stewart is horrible in at defense.  I can not understand how he was drafted in the first round when he is so awful at catching balls.  He knocked himself out getting hit in the head two years ago.   The guy is not a real big league fielder. 

Just now, Gurgi said:

Stewart is horrible in at defense.  I can not understand how he was drafted in the first round when he is so awful at catching balls.  He knocked himself out getting hit in the head two years ago.   The guy is not a real big league fielder. 

Because polished five tool guys aren't sitting there at 25 waiting to be picked.

This isn't a difficult concept and it has been discussed ad nauseum.  Stewart was a decent pick.  Folks have unrealistic expectations. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because polished five tool guys aren't sitting there at 25 waiting to be picked.

This isn't a difficult concept and it has been discussed ad nauseum.  Stewart was a decent pick.  Folks have unrealistic expectations. 

I would expect defense to be a part of the evaluation for a number one pick.  Obviously for DJ it was not.  He was drafted for his bat (which is not that special either).  Yeah I expect more out of such a high pick.  

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ryan has so much talent. If he could ever just improve a little with his discipline.  

I hope a coach talked to him after that at-bat to walk through it. If you're thinking about the game situation it's pretty clear that Greinke is going to throw junk to get Mountastle to roll over instead of advance the runner. 

So what does Mountcastle do? Swing way out in front at three breaking balls in a row culminating in a weak roller to third. Need to wait back in that situation. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I hope a coach talked to him after that at-bat to walk through it. If you're thinking about the game situation it's pretty clear that Greinke is going to throw junk to get Mountastle to roll over instead of advance the runner. 

So what does Mountcastle do? Swing way out in front at three breaking balls in a row culminating in a weak roller to third. Need to wait back in that situation. 

You cant walk yourself off the Island.  No one plays baseball the way they used to.  Its all just swing swing swing.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree with you, but now that we know what we have in Stewart, isn't it getting close to the time that Diaz deserves a shot. 

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Little fun in Philly.   As part of the new routine, the umps checked out Max Scherzer for illegal substances in the 1st and 3rd inning.

Then in the 4th, Girardi claimed to see something suspcious and exercised his right to ASK the umps to check Scherzer again.   They did, and Scherzer was demonstrably pissed off and griping at being checked the 3rd time.

Wonder if Girardi really saw something or if he was just trying to get in Max's head a little?

So Scherzer completed 5 1-run innings (he's at 108 put he's so you know he's done) and as he leaves the field he yells something over to the Phillies dugout and goes into his own dugout.  Girardi comes raging out of the Philly dugout yelling across the field and winds up getting tossed.  Scherzer is waving his cap and hands to show he has no substances and yelling back at Girardi. 

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I would expect defense to be a part of the evaluation for a number one pick.  Obviously for DJ it was not.  He was drafted for his bat (which is not that special either).  Yeah I expect more out of such a high pick.  

It isn't that bloody high a pick!