Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

8 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I agree with you, but now that we know what we have in Stewart, isn't it getting close to the time that Diaz deserves a shot. 

Of course. On the other hand Trout was available at 25, I think Aaron Judge was 32. DJ was taken when he was taken. That’s really irrelevant to how he’s playing now, and although it is human nature to get first round picks a longer leash, When you seen enough, you seen enough. 

I certainly don’t think we should give him away, maybe he can still be a good outfielder. He was actually pretty good according to baseball savant the last time I checked. Certainly he was better than Mountcastle.

Too soon to give up on him. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You get posters who are fixated on a particular player and these things happen.

You are right: the post about Stewart's options should have been posted a half hour ago when he injured himself running into a 15 foot high wall on a ball that was foul by 15 rows.

39 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I would expect defense to be a part of the evaluation for a number one pick.  Obviously for DJ it was not.  He was drafted for his bat (which is not that special either).  Yeah I expect more out of such a high pick.  

I don’t know whether Stewart was a good pick or not, Because I don’t know what else was available at that spot,but right now he is -2 outs above average in RF and -1 OAA in LF. Mountcastle by comparison is a whopping minus 6 OAA in LF. He was plus one at first base, but now he’s down to zero. I think your complaint is that the team focuses on offense when drafting, And defense be damned.

Cedric Mullins, on the other hand, Is the third best outfielder in all of major league baseball, with a glorious +6 OAA. And HE was pick number 403. Go figure…

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know whether Stewart was a good pick or not, Because I don’t know what else was available at that spot,but right now he is -2 outs above average in RF and -1 OAA in LF. Mountcastle by comparison is a whopping minus 6 OAA in LF. He was plus one at first base, but now he’s down to zero. I think your complaint is that the team focuses on offense when drafting, And defense be damned.

Cedric Mullins, on the other hand, Is the third best outfielder in all of major league baseball, with a glorious +6 OAA. And HE was pick number 403. Go figure…

Which would be why they used a first round pick on Grenier?

Mountcastle was a HS shortstop.  He moves pretty well.  How could anyone other than you predict he would have difficulty moving to the outfield back when he was drafted?