Today's game marks 90 days for Zach Pop with the Marlins

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news is I would have traded Pop for Wells. Yes I know they could have had both, and yes I think leaving Pop was a bit of an unforced error on Elias' part, but at the end of the day, I think Wells will end up more valuable at the major league level with Well's starters repertoire. 

But Wells was your second selection, not your first and Mac S was a horrendous decision.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The good news is I would have traded Pop for Wells. Yes I know they could have had both, and yes I think leaving Pop was a bit of an unforced error on Elias' part, but at the end of the day, I think Wells will end up more valuable at the major league level with Well's starters repertoire. 

The logical pitcher to DFA last November was Cole Sulser.  Over 30 with a 5.56 ERA in 2020.   But if they had lost him they might have lost some value.  Sulser is cheap making the minimum.  At the time had 5 years of service until FA.  He currently has 2.17 ERA, 1.138 WHIP and has 42 K in 29 IP.

Its hard to be right all the time and Elias may have been right to keep Sulser.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But Wells was your second selection, not your first and Mac S was a horrendous decision.

What does that have to do with anything I said? Elias took two shots and hit on one. that's pretty good for the rule 5 draft. I'm not going to sweat whether it was the 1st or 2nd selection. At the end of the day, most rule 5 draft picks end up to be nothing much or are returned. 

If Wells can actually become part of the future, that's a big win for Elias. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The logical pitcher to DFA last November was Cole Sulser.  Over 30 with a 5.56 ERA in 2020.   But if they had lost him they might have lost some value.  Sulser is cheap making the minimum.  At the time had 5 years of service until FA.  He currently has 2.17 ERA, 1.138 WHIP and has 42 K in 29 IP.

Its hard to be right all the time and Elias may have been right to keep Sulser.

Lakins would have been the guy I would have DFA'd, especially now that we know that Sulser pitched hurt most of last year when he really fell apart. Shake a minor league tree and ten Lakins fall out.

Either way, Elias risked the fact that no one had seen Pop pitch since early 2018 and the Marlins decided to take a shot. Personally, i think the fact that Pop is a sinker-slider guy and Elias/Syd are not found if sinkerballers had a lot more to do with this overall. 

So far Pop has had his struggles and it still remains to be seen whether his inconsistency of command will continue.

Saying that, I'd rather have him in the system than Lakins.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lakins would have been the guy I would have DFA'd, especially now that we know that Sulser pitched hurt most of last year when he really fell apart. Shake a minor league tree and ten Lakins fall out.

Either way, Elias risked the fact that no one had seen Pop pitch since early 2018 and the Marlins decided to take a shot. Personally, i think the fact that Pop is a sinker-slider guy and Elias/Syd are not found if sinkerballers had a lot more to do with this overall. 

So far Pop has had his struggles and it still remains to be seen whether his inconsistency of command will continue.

Saying that, I'd rather have him in the system than Lakins.

I don't know  about that one.   Lakins had a 2.81 ERA in 2020 with the O's and was striking out one an inning.   He was  26 and was a 6th round draft choice.  I understand that he walked too many but that is not unusual for a young pitcher beginning in the majors.  I think Sulser was more likely to make it through waivers since he  would be  31 before the season started and had a bad year.  Normally a GM keeps the young guys in the rebuild and risks losing the 31 year olds.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Pop has a 5.67 ERA and is a 1-inning reliever in the NL. Wells is out here eating American League offenses for breakfast with an 11.4 K rate. 

I f don’t think losing Pop is the end of the world, but I still think he may develop into a good back end reliever.   He’s had a pair of truly awful outings that account for more than half the earned runs he’s allowed.   Considering he’s fresh off TJ and hasn’t pitched competitively in two years, he’s a worthy long term project for the Marlins.  I think Wells fits our needs a lot better.

• Upvote 1