Wednesday: Orioles end 20-game-in-20-day stretch, and the month of June, and reach season midpoint in Houston

SteveA

BTW, Wells is fresh and reasonably dependable so he’d probably be my choice.

the Astro radio guys are talking about how Harvey’s suddenly lost it. And Hyde gets Scott up.

Oh brother

Edit: the Astro radio guys say that Harvey has only lasted 6 innings once all year.

Edited by Philip

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Who cares? If you’re leave a guy in after he is done that’s a commentary on your bullpen usage. You need to prepare for the things you know will probably happen, even as you hope they don’t. 
Hyde knows/knew he’d need somebody. We got fresh Mattson, Wells, Watkins, and Harvey, Scott or Fry probably available.  

Bullshit.  Managing isn't just taking guys out, it's having a plan to finish the game.  You constantly criticize Hyde's management, dozens and dozens of times, and I can only remember ONE time you actually said what he actually should do.  It's always just take this pitcher out, don't use this guy in high leverage, get rid of this guy and I dont care who you bring up to replace him.  It's just lazy.  If you are going to criticize a move then at least say what the alternative is.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Bullshit.  Managing isn't just taking guys out, it's having a plan to finish the game.  You constantly criticize Hyde's management, dozens and dozens of times, and I can only remember ONE time you actually said what he actually should do.  It's always just take this pitcher out, don't use this guy in high leverage, get rid of this guy and I dont care who you bring up to replace him.  It's just lazy.  If you are going to criticize a move then at least say what the alternative is.  

Very well said.  

Just now, SteveA said:

You missed my comment, which is that Hyde  has a plan. He knows who he is going to bring in when the starter is done. It’s either going to be X or Y depending on what part of the order is coming up.

You are suggesting he has no plan. Of course he has a plan. I’m saying he waits too long to implement it. He always leaves his starter in too long and if you don’t think that’s true go back and look at the starting logs. I have done so. He always leaves his starter in too long and he did so tonight as well. We may think our stars that Scott managed to put out the fire.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I am right I have always been right I have backed up what I have said, and I even did so tonight, you said who should he bring in and I said as I always say that who he brings in is less important than pulling starter before he creates a problem.

Hyde goes into every game knowing who he has available, and knowing who will replace the starter when he comes out.

And there have been multiple games where he has used guys who were worn out from the day before including one of the games against the Blue Jays last week.

If you think I have absolutely no grounds for my complaint, then edit: nope don’t want to say that.

I have grounds for my complaints and I have defended myself as I do every time. You are welcome to disagree. If you think leaving the starter in for that extra few batters is fine then that’s ok.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

You missed my comment, which is that Hyde  has a plan. He knows who he is going to bring in when the starter is done. It’s either going to be X or Y depending on what part of the order is coming up.

You are suggesting he has no plan. Of course he has a plan. I’m saying he waits too long to implement it. He always leaves his starter in too long and if you don’t think that’s true go back and look at the starting logs. I have done so. He always leaves his starter in too long and he did so tonight as well. We may think our stars that Scott managed to put out the fire.

I think you're missing the overall point.  

You need to have starters get to a certain point in the game, or else the bullpen gets taxed early on...kinda like it is now.  

I'd like it if the Orioles tried the "starter" thing like the Rays do, but we don't have the horses to do it.  The guys in the bullpen aren't good enough and they can't work with that strategy because the starters never go long enough to give them a day off.  

You're saying he leaves the starters in too long, but what's the alternative?  Pulling them earlier and taxing the bullpen worse than they already are?  

1 minute ago, Philip said:

If you think I have absolutely no grounds for my complaint, then you are a fool and I say that publicly and out loud and it’s probably the strongest comment I’ve ever made online now back off

Is this the written equivalent of puffing out your chest?

• Haha 1