Elias says he has to consider drafting another catcher

1 hour ago, joelala said:

I think Harry Ford will be the pick. I just have a weird feeling about it. 

Assuming Davis and Leiter are gone, my weird feeling is Colton Cowser. Maybe Watson, but I think Cowser will be the pick.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, Philip said:

If they’ve negotiated any pre-draft deals, I wonder if that means they are required to take that particular player if he’s available, or they are free to draft someone else if there’s a surprise?

I doubt MLB would allow any agreement that pre-commits a team to a certain selection. 

22 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I doubt MLB would allow any agreement that pre-commits a team to a certain selection. 

Isn’t that what they did with Kjersted?

I thought they negotiated with him before drafting him to see if he would take less than slot. Is that incorrect?

GMs  negotiate with high profile draftee's agents prior to the draft.  The GMs want to how much it will take for them not to  go college or back college?  How much of an underslot  bonus will they accept.

One example: Jack Leiter's agent may tell the Rangers that he will only sign for 9m because that may not be where he wants to go.  But he may tell the Red Sox that he will sign for slot because that is where he wants to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I thought they negotiated with him before drafting him to see if he would take less than slot. Is that incorrect?

You are correct, according to various sources, including the signing scout just after the draft. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

GMs  negotiate with high profile draftee's agents prior to the draft.  The GMs want to how much it will take for them not to  go college or back college?  How much of an underslot  bonus will they accept.

One example: Jack Leiter's agent may tell the Rangers that he will only sign for 9m because that may not be where he wants to go.  But he may tell the Red Sox that he will sign for slot because that is where he wants to go.

All right, that is clear. But what if the Rangers agree to pay $9 million, and then decide to draft someone else? If they agree on a price are they obligated to take that player or are they allowed to change their minds and take someone else?

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Gentlemen’s agreement. It’s not binding. MLB wouldn’t allow that. 

• Thanks 1

I believe that Elias will not take a pitcher with a high first round pick unless they are a generational talent.  In other words, someone like Verlander or Strasburg.  Elias was part of the Houston organization when they picked Mark Appel and Brady Aiken #1 in back to back years.  Appel is about to turn 30 and has never pitched in the majors.  Anyone know if he has retired.  Aiken is 24 and in the Indians farm system.  It looks like he didn't sign w/ the Astros at #1 and went back in the draft next year and was picked #17 by the Indians.  Wasn't he the pitcher that was found to be injured after the draft and the Astros wanted to severely cut his signing bonus.  He hasn't pitched above low A and is on the IL now.  Just this history would make Elias gunshy on picking a pitcher high in the draft. 

16 hours ago, joelala said:

I prefer Ford to Cowser, I think. How about you?

I don't know enough about Ford to say for sure. I think Cowser is safer...higher floor so to speak. More of a track record. I think Elias is still in a bit of a "safe" mode this high in the draft. Just my thoughts.

Brian Cashman got into some hot water not too long ago for saying he was more focused on the draft than the trade deadline. I would imagine that everyone is still monitoring potential trade scenarios but league wide most GMs are probably extremely focused on the draft at the moment. 

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I believe that Elias will not take a pitcher with a high first round pick unless they are a generational talent.  In other words, someone like Verlander or Strasburg.  Elias was part of the Houston organization when they picked Mark Appel and Brady Aiken #1 in back to back years.  Appel is about to turn 30 and has never pitched in the majors.  Anyone know if he has retired. 

Appel retired but is attempting a comeback this year.   Currently pitching in AAA for the Phillies.   Here’s a good article on his comeback.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mcall.com/sports/ironpigs-phillies/mc-spt-mark-appel-phillies-ironpigs-20210626-sg3usu4yuvdx3fphi6uawo3q2i-story.html%3foutputType=amp