Orioles trade for INF Kelvin Gutierrez from the Royals and assign him to Norfolk; Lakins to the 60-day Injured List

OsFanSinceThe80s

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I can’t believe that none of these guys is better than Valaika, But I also can’t believe that bringing any of them up would hurt the plan. Does McCoy hit better than Bannon? Who is the better defender? Bring’em up

I think a roster move has to be coming when the Orioles return back home. If Valaika isn't even going to execute a sacrifice bunt properly, I don't see how you can have him on the major league roster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Kelvin looks like a high error 3B with good range.    He hit well at AAA in the PCL but not has good at AA.    O's probably want to see how he does at Norfolk.

The O’s seem to have very little in the pipeline regarding 3B. Bannon isn’t it, my understanding is Nevin is an eventual 1B only, maybe they could reach down to AA and believe in Patrick Dorrian but he can’t hit LHP it seems. Probably gonna be a lot crap thrown out there after the Franco trial expires (hopefully it expires) just to see who sticks. That’ll include some designated players from other organizations and looks like it starts with Gutierrez

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, oriole said:

The O’s seem to have very little in the pipeline regarding 3B. Bannon isn’t it, my understanding is Nevin is an eventual 1B only, maybe they could reach down to AA and believe in Patrick Dorrian but he can’t hit LHP it seems. Probably gonna be a lot crap thrown out there after the Franco trial expires (hopefully it expires) just to see who sticks. That’ll include some designated players from other organizations and looks like it starts with Gutierrez

Dorrian may be a 70% solution  at 3B for next year.  They probably add a guy who can play 3B and hit lefties to platoon him with.  He has to show he can hit at AAA yet though.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Acquiring Gutierrez is a bit of a head scratcher for me. The guy has never hit for power, seems like a high error guy at 3B, and not sure how he's part of the future or much better than Leyba as a place holder. 

I look at Gutierrez as AAA depth.   He would have to improve a lot to be part of the O's future.   They has watched Santander miss a month with a ankle injury and hobble around for another month while trying to play.   Franco sprained his ankle.   They hope its not bad but stuff happens.

Lakins had a significant injury and to move him to the 60 day DL they needed to add a player.  Gutierrez was available.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Acquiring Gutierrez is a bit of a head scratcher for me. The guy has never hit for power, seems like a high error guy at 3B, and not sure how he's part of the future or much better than Leyba as a place holder. 

I was hoping you would have some insight onto why the Orioles traded for Gutierrez, lol. I looked up Gutierrez's stats earlier, and he doesn't hit and looks like a very mediocre fielder. I'm hoping someone from the minors is getting called up and he's need for depth. 

Franco hasn't been good, but I don't see anyway Franco gets released for this guy.