2021 Draft Thread

38 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

At this point the only thing that makes sense is that Angelos told him not to spend the entire draft allotment, thus he goes underslot for almost every pick and takes a bunch of college guys with little leverage that will jump at the chance to be in a ML (sort of) system. The O's are no closer to contention in 2021 than they were in 2019

Well, your theory will be tested very quickly. I still think we wind up spending close to the entire amount.  Which is not the same as saying that the money is being spent efficiently.  

13 hours ago, Sydnor said:

If they wanted to draft any of the over slot high school players like Burns, Taylor, Montgomery, or Jump they would have already done so. I do not think they intend to spend their allotment again this year.

I disagree. I think the higher end talent still available are all guys with major signability questions which is why no team was willing to draft them in the top-10 rounds for fear of losing some of their draft allotment. I think the Orioles go with several higher upside, signability question marks in the last 10 rounds because (aside from just not getting the player) there are no penalties for failure to sign. This way, you take 3-4 of these difficult sign guys with the expectation of signing 1-2 of them. It's a plan that makes sense (but is a bit more risky than I think its worth). 

If, however, that doesn't come to pass. Then, I'm on your side. 

29 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I disagree. I think the higher end talent still available are all guys with major signability questions which is why no team was willing to draft them in the top-10 rounds for fear of losing some of their draft allotment. I think the Orioles go with several higher upside, signability question marks in the last 10 rounds because (aside from just not getting the player) there are no penalties for failure to sign. This way, you take 3-4 of these difficult sign guys with the expectation of signing 1-2 of them. It's a plan that makes sense (but is a bit more risky than I think its worth). 

If, however, that doesn't come to pass. Then, I'm on your side. 

Or take 2 and sign one of those 2.

My understanding (which may be outdated) is that the draft pool for rounds 1-10 is disconnected from 11+. By that, I mean that we don't get to allot savings in 1-10 to guys in 11+. That means if  you're not drafted in the top 10 rounds, you're not getting any savings netted from any under slot guys at the top.

If true, I doubt there's a significant over slot guy that we plan to draft and sign. Maybe a slightly over slot guy or two, but nothing significant in terms of dollars.

Here's MLB.com's top players that remain available:

Will Taylor, OF, Dutch Forks (S.C.) HS (No. 20)
Peyton Stovall, SS, Haughton (La.) HS (No. 29)
Gage Jump, LHP, JSerra Catholic (Calif.) HS (No. 43)
Chase Burns, RHP, Beech (Tenn.) HS (No. 47)
Jackson Baumeister, RHP, The Bolles School (Fla.) HS (No. 53)
Thatcher Hurd, RHP, Mira Costa (Calif.) HS (No. 60)
Tommy Dilandri, OF, Palo Verde (NV) HS (No. 61)
Alex Mooney, SS, St. Marys Prep (MI) (No. 64)
Braden Montgomery, OF/RHP, Madison Central (MS) HS (No. 66)
Davis Diaz, SS/C, Acalanes (Calif.) HS (No. 71)

• Thanks 2

I feel like there has to be a philosophy to not drafting pitchers this year. Is the data not valuable because of the increased spin rates and understanding how you can artificially increase them with the application of “sticky” stuff? I’m as baffled as most here but if that is the thought it is not a bad idea to hold off on selecting pitching with data that may produce invalid outcomes. 

Edited by phatty
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Here's MLB.com's top players that remain available:

Will Taylor, OF, Dutch Forks (S.C.) HS (No. 20)
Peyton Stovall, SS, Haughton (La.) HS (No. 29)
Gage Jump, LHP, JSerra Catholic (Calif.) HS (No. 43)
Chase Burns, RHP, Beech (Tenn.) HS (No. 47)
Jackson Baumeister, RHP, The Bolles School (Fla.) HS (No. 53)
Thatcher Hurd, RHP, Mira Costa (Calif.) HS (No. 60)
Tommy Dilandri, OF, Palo Verde (NV) HS (No. 61)
Alex Mooney, SS, St. Marys Prep (MI) (No. 64)
Braden Montgomery, OF/RHP, Madison Central (MS) HS (No. 66)
Davis Diaz, SS/C, Acalanes (Calif.) HS (No. 71)

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

My understanding (which may be outdated) is that the draft pool for rounds 1-10 is disconnected from 11+. By that, I mean that we don't get to allot savings in 1-10 to guys in 11+. That means if  you're not drafted in the top 10 rounds, you're not getting any savings netted from any under slot guys at the top.

If true, I doubt there's a significant over slot guy that we plan to draft and sign. Maybe a slightly over slot guy or two, but nothing significant in terms of dollars.

My understanding is Rounds 1-10 are the only ones with assigned value and the only ones where the pool money goes away if a player is unsigned. As for 11+, each pick is allotted $125,000 anything paid above that goes against the total allotment from 1-10. So, if the Orioles have saved a couple million, they could give that to someone 11+. 

• Upvote 1

I think Elias is sticking to his plan. I appreciate that. I don’t know if I agree with it, but he’s doing it. It’s obvious that he preferred college bats. Grow the bats and buy/trade for the arms. It looks like he’s also building the depth in the system to a legit top 75ish. 

The COVID year made things more uncertain for us, and a smaller draft that Elias had to work with. 

It looks like he’s taking BPA, even if they’re all OF. The IF depth may come in trades. When we’re ready to compete the overall depth will build the rotation. 

It’s just unfortunate that Kjerstad had a rare heart condition and Baumler needed TJ. 

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

My understanding is Rounds 1-10 are the only ones with assigned value and the only ones where the pool money goes away if a player is unsigned. As for 11+, each pick is allotted $125,000 anything paid above that goes against the total allotment from 1-10. So, if the Orioles have saved a couple million, they could give that to someone 11+. 

Oh. That does make things much more interesting. Sounds like they used 1-10 to get good players while still having a deal or two in place with some over slot guys for 11-20.