Sir Sidney

CarrRun49

1 hour ago, murph said:

Count me among those who was wondering which one it was....I always remember Ponson as not being good for us and was surprised to see he actually had 3 seasons of 2.5 bWar or greater for us.   Of course back then, I didn't really know how to evaluate value, until this site taught me a great many things!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/ponsosi01.shtml

I recently ranked him as our 7th best starting pitcher of this century, behind only Bedard, Guthrie, Tillman, Chen, Gausman and Lopez.  But he left a sour taste in everyone’s mouth with how he performed and behaved in 2004-05 after we re-signed him to a hefty (see what I did there?) contract.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I recently ranked him as our 7th best starting pitcher of this century, behind only Bedard, Guthrie, Tillman, Chen, Gausman and Lopez.  But he left a sour taste in everyone’s mouth with how he performed and behaved in 2004-05 after we re-signed him to a hefty (see what I did there?) contract.   

Man that's.... I'm gonna need to lie down. 

At what point do the Orioles start looking at free agent pitchers.  Here is a list of 2022 FA's:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/pitching/

Some interesting names on there that could probably be picked up for relatively cheap:

Aaron Loup (34 years old, $3M salary in 2021)

Zach Davies (29, $8.6M)

Aaron Sanchez (29, $4M)

Carlos Rodon (29, $3M -- market competition for him will price him out of Baltimore)

John Gray (30, $6M)

Alex Wood (31, $3M)

Michael Lorenzen (30, $4.4M)

Is it time to bring in a couple of established arms to help with the young guys coming up over the next 2-3 years?

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

At what point do the Orioles start looking at free agent pitchers.  Here is a list of 2022 FA's:

Some interesting names on there that could probably be picked up for relatively cheap:

Zach Davies (29, $8.6M)

Aaron Sanchez (29, $4M)

Carlos Rodon (29, $3M -- market competition for him will price him out of Baltimore)

John Gray (30, $6M)

Alex Wood (31, $3M)

Is it time to bring in a couple of established arms to help with the young guys coming up over the next 2-3 years?

I'm guessing the second week of Spring Training. 

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Zach Davies (29, $8.6M)

Aaron Sanchez (29, $4M)

John Gray (30, $6M)

Alex Wood (31, $3M)

It would be nice to see the O's add a middle of the rotation starter.  The O's only have the last year of Davis contract as far as big contracts next year.  Would be nice to see something from the O's other than constantly cutting costs.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would be nice to see the O's add a middle of the rotation starter.  The O's only have the last year of Davis contract as far as big contracts next year.  Would be nice to see something from the O's other than constantly cutting costs.

How much do they have going out in deferred salaries next season?

On 7/16/2021 at 3:53 AM, TonySoprano said:

In 2005, Thrift was gone, and Pete was still the real GM.  Phil Nevin refused a trade which would have sent Ponson to SD in exchange.   The Rangers deal which was for Richard Hidalgo was quashed by Big Pete even after he met with the Rangers' owner.  Angelos wanted Tex to eat more of the salary.  Not long after, Ponson injured his thumb trying to barehand a Sandy Alomar liner.   At the end of '05, the Orioles released Fat Sid.  Years of litigation later, team Angelos lost a lawsuit forcing them to pay the remainder of Ponson's salary.

I get confused by “Fat Sid” between Ponson and Fernandez. It’s like saying “Thin Ripken”. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:41 PM, Can_of_corn said:

How much do they have going out in deferred salaries next season?

2022 Salary Per Sportstrac (current)

Chris Davis $21,065,362

2022 Deferred Salary 

Alex Cobb $6,500,000

Mark Trumbo $1,500,000

Darren O’Day $1,000,000

Andrew Cashner $1,00,000

Total $31,065,362 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/payroll/2022/

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks.  Don't they also owe Bonilla?

They do and somehow the Orioles escaped the notoriety of having to pay Bobby Bonilla every July 1st. 

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day: Here's why the Mets pay him $1.19 million every July 1

Other notable examples of deferred-money contracts
--Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.
--Bret Saberhagen: Will receive $250,000 a year from the Mets for 25 years (payments also began in 2004; this was the inspiration for Bonilla's deal).
--Max Scherzer: Will receive $105 million total from the Nationals that will be paid out through 2028.
--Manny Ramírez: Will collect $24.2 million total from the Red Sox through 2026.
--Ken Griffey Jr.: Will receive $3.59 million from the Reds every year through 2024 as the deferral from his nine-year, $116 million deal signed in 2000.
--Todd Helton: Will get $1.3 million from the Rockies every year through 2023 as the result of $13 million deferred when he signed a two-year extension in 2010.

It Seems Like They’ll Never Stop Paying Him

The one that might come as no surprise belongs to Chris Davis. He already eats of $23 million in AAV each year. But when he’s finished after the 2022 season, the team gets to keep paying through 2037. The aging slugger will get $3.5 million every July 1 for 10 years between 2023-and 2032. Then, he will get $1.4 million for the next five years through 2037. That adds up to $42 stretched out over 15 years.

The Starter Who Needs to Start

The next player with a nice little deferment is Alex Cobb. He gets $14.2 million each year while he plays for the Orioles, but that ends at the close of the 2021 season. However, the 2020 season might have put a little wrinkle in his contract and deferred money. Cobb gets a special deferment date of November 30, 2022, where the Orioles pay him $2 million. Then he gets $1.8 on that special day between 2023 and 2032.

Here’s the wrinkle: if he does not pitch at least 130 innings in 2020, then the Orioles take $5.5 million out of his 2021 salary and pay it out at $1.75 million annually between 2033-2035. Pitchers might top out around 50 to 60 innings in 2020. Looks like the Orioles will get to reduce their salary payout even more in 2021.

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

2022 Salary Per Sportstrac (current)

Chris Davis $21,065,362

2022 Deferred Salary 

Alex Cobb $6,500,000

Mark Trumbo $1,500,000

Darren O’Day $1,000,000

Andrew Cashner $1,00,000

Total $31,065,362 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/payroll/2022/

I don’t understand where that Davis number comes from.  He’s still on the roster in 2022, making $17 mm.  His deferred comp doesn’t kick in until after that and he doesn’t earn anything close to $21 mm in any one year.   He gets $3.5 mm from 2023-32 and 1.4 mm from 2033-37.

Maybe they are including the portion of his deferred comp that has to be put in escrow during 2022.   As I’ve explained before, the CBA requires that deferred comp be escrowed 18 months after the season in which it is earned, but discounted by some percentage to allow for expected growth by the payout date.   So the amount paid into escrow next year relates to deferred money earned in 2020 that will get paid out in 2030 ($3.5 mm) and 2035 ($1.4 mm).   

On 7/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, Frobby said:

I don’t understand where that Davis number comes from.  He’s still on the roster in 2022, making $17 mm.  His deferred comp doesn’t kick in until after that and he doesn’t earn anything close to $21 mm in any one year.   He gets $3.5 mm from 2023-32 and 1.4 mm from 2033-37.

Maybe they are including the portion of his deferred comp that has to be put in escrow during 2022.   As I’ve explained before, the CBA requires that deferred comp be escrowed 18 months after the season in which it is earned, but discounted by some percentage to allow for expected growth by the payout date.   So the amount paid into escrow next year relates to deferred money earned in 2020 that will get paid out in 2030 ($3.5 mm) and 2035 ($1.4 mm).   

No idea … just regurgitating what was written