Is Grayson Rodriguez our no. 1 prospect now?

Frobby

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m about ready to say yes.   Dominating AA at age 21 while Adley is having his struggles right now.    Put it this way: if I was going to promote one of them right now, it would be Rodriguez.  

The general consensus is that Adley is the top prospect still in the minors.  Are you suggesting that the Orioles have the top two prospects in all of minor league baseball?

I'd promote Adley to the majors today.  I look at Grayson and don't know if he can hold his velocity for six innings. 

I don't think a mini slump changes Rutschman's prospect status. He is still a switch hitting catcher with power who walks a ton and plays great D. That said if you want to call them 1A and 1B I would not object. I am very high on Rodriguez and it is very possible he has a bigger career impact. I would not promote either one to MLB until I know the service time implications. Let's also remember Rodriguez hasn't gone more than 5 innings at Bowie and has yet to pitch 100 innings. If he were to be called up this year, it would probably be as a reliever on a 60 win team. Just doesn't seem worth it. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The general consensus is that Adley is the top prospect still in the minors.  Are you suggesting that the Orioles have the top two prospects in all of minor league baseball?

I'd promote Adley to the majors today.  I look at Grayson and don't know if he can hold his velocity for six innings. 

Honestly I’m not sure Adley has earned the no. 1 ranking.   So part of my question relates to Grayson’s rising status, part relates to Adley not really living up to the hype right now.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m about ready to say yes.   Dominating AA at age 21 while Adley is having his struggles right now.    Put it this way: if I was going to promote one of them right now, it would be Rodriguez.  

I would rate him that.  Not that it matters that much who is number one or two but if you can find a true number 1 starter in my opinion it can be a better anchor for a franchise.  From 1966 to 1983 the Orioles had many great players but one constant was Jim Palmer.  To me it is not a coincidence that the franchise was so elite during the years it was mostly anchored by Jim Palmer. When Mussina was on the Orioles from 1992-2000 they had 4 losing seasons, 3 of them his last years as an Oriole.  None of those years were horrible.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I don't think a mini slump changes Rutschman's prospect status. He is still a switch hitting catcher with power who walks a ton and plays great D. That said if you want to call them 1A and 1B I would not object. I am very high on Rodriguez and it is very possible he has a bigger career impact. I would not promote either one to MLB until I know the service time implications. Let's also remember Rodriguez hasn't gone more than 5 innings at Bowie and has yet to pitch 100 innings. If he were to be called up this year, it would probably be as a reliever on a 60 win team. Just doesn't seem worth it. 

I was talking about a promotion to Norfolk, not Baltimore.   

As to Adley, I’m not saying he’s not a top prospect but I don’t watch him and think he’s the no. 1 prospect in the sport.  He is in more than a “mini-slump.”   He’s been pretty bad the last three weeks, and even in June wasn’t playing at “best prospect in baseball” level.   

Grayson hasn’t really been challenged this year. He’s obviously done a great job but it’s easier to put up these numbers knowing you won’t pitch into the 6th and won’t have to gut your way through an inning. If they’re not gonna push him with innings, I’d like to see him go to AAA and be challenged with better hitters. 

If I could only pick one, I’d still pick Adley. That says to me he’s our #1 prospect. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think he is. Adley’s overall approach and K/BB rate bodes well in the majors. Plus defender. How many catchers in the game right now combine his skill set? Zero?  Realmuto is good but I think Adley will have a higher OBP.  

Doesn’t mean I’m not excited about GRod. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Adley should be promoted now.

Bobby Witt has just been called up to AAA.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1416913350110351365?s=21

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley should be promoted now.

Bobby Witt has just been called up to AAA.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1416913350110351365?s=21

You can't expect a rebuilding team to take the same type of action that a competitive team like the Royals does.

You can't expect a small market team to take the same type of action that a large market team like the Royals does.

Grayson for me is no. 1. I have some concerns with Adley. I’m not sure he will hit for average in the bigs. He’s got a bit of an upper cut one plane swing.

GRod’s combination of stuff and command just screams ace to me. He’s a big, durable guy. Just not a whole lot that looks like could go wrong there.