Round of promotions announced

MurphDogg

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Glad to see Neustrom to Norfolk. Haskin and Feliz are also exciting promotions to me.

Clearing some room at Delmarva for all those college pitchers we drafted. ?

It's interesting. I went to see Bowie play in Hartford in early June, and Neustrom grounded out weakly to 2B a few times. He was OPSing .600 and my reaction was "this guy is just filler".  Then he posted 319/404/505/909 in June and 296/424/611/1035 so far in July. 

Shows you what I know. Good for him on his much deserved promotion. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

It's interesting. I went to see Bowie play in Hartford in early June, and Neustrom grounded out weakly to 2B a few times. He was OPSing .600 and my reaction was "this guy is just filler".  Then he posted 319/404/505/909 in June and 296/424/611/1035 so far in July. 

Shows you what I know. Good for him on his much deserved promotion. 

I went to the doubleheader in Bowie the day before Memorial Day and was telling my buddy what a bust Cadyn Grenier is and he hit two homers, including one over the advertising boards into the woods.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not much.  But let’s not act like it matters much whether he’s promoted now or three weeks from now.   The important thing is that he gets enough time in Norfolk to adjust to the ball, so that he’ll be very close to major league ready when 2022 begins.   

What is the reasoning behind not using a uniform baseball for all minors and majors? I’m sure there is a reason but I can’t seem to reason what it is.

1 minute ago, IPlayGM said:

What is the reasoning behind not using a uniform baseball for all minors and majors? I’m sure there is a reason but I can’t seem to reason what it is.

I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that the major league balls are more expensive.  

5 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

They can't be so much more expensive that it's anything more than a drop in the bucket to a Major League team, right?

It shouldn't be and they should make the change next year with the new collective bargaining agreement. I also think they should work with colleges to use wood bats. What is a couple hundred grand to help college programs use wood bats so it's easier to identify hitting prospects?

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It shouldn't be and they should make the change next year with the new collective bargaining agreement. I also think they should work with colleges to use wood bats. What is a couple hundred grand to help college programs use wood bats so it's easier to identify hitting prospects?

I think there are also some issue with scarcity of major league quality materials.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I think there are also some issue with scarcity of major league quality materials.  

I'm not sure I buy that, but it can't be a big hurdle to use the same ball throughout the minor leagues, or at the very least, AA and higher.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I buy that, but it can't be a big hurdle to use the same ball throughout the minor leagues, or at the very least, AA and higher.

Up until 2019, even AAA used the minor league balls.  

Here’s a very good article discussing both the cost and quality issues invoking the balls:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-2019-preview-new-year-new-baseballs/%3famphtml

It says the cost of AAA switching was about $1 mm/yr.  So I guess to switch all the full-season teams would be another $3 mm.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Up until 2019, even AAA used the minor league balls.  

Here’s a very good article discussing both the cost and quality issues invoking the balls:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-2019-preview-new-year-new-baseballs/%3famphtml

It says the cost of AAA switching was about $1 mm/yr.  So I guess to switch all the full-season teams would be another $3 mm.

That's $100,000 per team. I think they can swing that

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And they wouldn't have to pay the full cost of bats since bigger schools already have equipment deals. 

Here's an old article: https://www.al.com/sports/2013/06/post_493.html

It would be very affordable if MLB was motivated to do it.

My frustration is that in the Majors if a pitch or throw bounces off the ground they immediately throw it out.  No idea if there actually are scuff marks but every player played with baseballs that had lasted almost a full game.  Pretty silly way to make sure they have enough baseballs for pre game BP, which is where the game balls end up.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I went to the doubleheader in Bowie the day before Memorial Day and was telling my buddy what a bust Cadyn Grenier is and he hit two homers, including one over the advertising boards into the woods.

Did you also happen to criticize Spenser Watkins on the fourth of July ( just before 3 starts ago)?