Why did Elias DFA Tom Eshelman? Jones promotion and the OF traffic jam.

wildcard

3 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

You mean message board talk? I'm not here defend Jones, but I have to believe that if his infield defense is as atrocious as many imply, the Orioles brass, who watch him every day, wouldn't even waste the time at AAA playing him at 2B.

Talk is just talk, but a .958 fielding percentage at 2B is quite bad.   Major league average is .981.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

He has been promoted to the Orioles straight from the minor league IL????

He played in Bowie the last few days on a rehab assignment.  Went 4 for 15 with a homer and a couple of walks in four games.   Plus had one game in the FCL.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Talk is just talk, but a .958 fielding percentage at 2B is quite bad.   Major league average is .981.

Gee, it’s not like people can improve on prior numbers or something. Give it time. That’s a luxury we can give him.

35 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Gee, it’s not like people can improve on prior numbers or something. Give it time. That’s a luxury we can give him.

If Jones is the long term plan, we are in for a world of hurt a la Bull Durham.  When he gets his shot at 2b, you'll see.  He's a butcher.   I wish the man all the luck in the world and hope he succeeds.  I'll happily eat crow if he's a serviceable 2b, but I'll very much doubt that will be the case.   

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

If Jones is the long term plan, we are in for a world of hurt a la Bull Durham.  When he gets his shot at 2b, you'll see.  He's a butcher.   I wish the man all the luck in the world and hope he succeeds.  I'll happily eat crow if he's a serviceable 2b, but I'll very much doubt that will be the case.   

Anyone's defense is serviceable if they hit enough.

But I think he'll REALLY have to hit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Ok sounds good. I just like being positive and like what the Orioles see in him at the position. I think he’s a good kid, a hard worker and I think he will improve over time at 2B. I think he can be an asset. We also have Norby now as well and Martin and Urias so it’s not like Elias is putting all his eggs into one basket at all. Competition will yield the best outcome. I like the sound of a Henderson, Westburg, Norby/Urias/Jones/Martin and Mountcastle infield to go along with our outfielders and of course Adley behind the plate. We are close boys.

13 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Ok sounds good. I just like being positive and like what the Orioles see in him at the position. I think he’s a good kid, a hard worker and I think he will improve over time at 2B. I think he can be an asset. We also have Norby now as well and Martin and Urias so it’s not like Elias is putting all his eggs into one basket at all. Competition will yield the best outcome. I like the sound of a Henderson, Westburg, Norby/Urias/Jones/Martin and Mountcastle infield to go along with our outfielders and of course Adley behind the plate. We are close boys.

Norby.  Now we are talking.  I can't wait. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Backflips.   I want to see the backflips.  

I do, too. Thing is; it’s not just for the sake of seeing a guy do a backflip. Though, I admit, when do you see a grown man do that? It’s that he’s winning and if he’s doing a backflip it means there was a great result.