(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think teams do this because they’re trying to fool their fans that this is the best way to build a team.   They do it because in some situations it IS the best way to build a team.  And one of those situations is when you’re team has just won 47 games and has very little talent in its organization.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And it just so happens to greatly lower payroll at the same time.

It's hard to deny the strong inducements that are in place for putting a crappy team on the field, saving money on payroll, and moving up in the amateur draft. But I think some teams are following that path when it's not the best course, and  teams in some weaker markets -- like the Orioles -- are going in that direction without much regard for its uncertainty or for the long-term effect on their fan base in an age when those fans (especially younger one) will tire of supporting a loser and can switch to a perennially or occasionally winning team, watch all their games for a reasonable price on mlb.tv, and follow everything about that new team on the Internet. A bunch of teams want to be the next version of the Astros, and it won't work for all of them.

I think -- and I'm guessing most fans would agree -- that the current situation, with these inducements not to try to put the best available team on the field for several years -- is bad for MLB and for baseball generally. That suggests to me that there's a 2 to 3 percent chance that MLB will address it constructively in the next ten years. Or twenty, after the Rays and A's get situated and expansion is dealt with.

From Melewski:

I asked Elias during his presser if there is a big difference between picking first or second?

“I don’t worry about that at all,” he said. “I’ve been a part of a lot of these. You just don’t know what’s out there. Crazy stuff happens. We want to finish as strong as we can possibly finish. I think we take a lot of pride in giving some of these teams fits down the stretch. We were seeing a lot of stuff on the 2011 team recently, and people remember that and it’s good for the team and the players, and that’s our focus right now.

“But we’re going to have a high pick. I think we might even know we’re getting the top two already, and so we have a list of players, we’re preparing for that. We’re not worried about it. We picked fifth last year because of the shortened season, and I think we got a terrific player (Colton Cowser). The draft’s very fickle and I’m humble about the draft, and wherever we end up picking, we’ll pick. And hopefully do well.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/10/series-win-over-boston-graysons-latest-honor-elias-presser.html

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Everyone” isn’t that high on Green.   He has his advocates, but take a look on the Amateur Draft board — there is no consensus no. 1 at this point.    

Oh, I understand the differences of opinion on Green.  My primary point remains, the draft is supposed to be very deep in college bats and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go that route at 1:2.  The only thing that would shock me is a high school pitcher.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Oh, I understand the differences of opinion on Green.  My primary point remains, the draft is supposed to be very deep in college bats and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go that route at 1:2.  The only thing that would shock me is a high school pitcher.

Just looked to see how many HS pitchers have been taken at 1:1 or 1:2.   At 1:1, there have only been three: Brady Aiken, Brien Taylor and David Clyde.   Clyde was the only one to pitch in the majors, and he wasn’t very good.   But there have been several HS pitchers picked at 1:2 who had good careers: Josh Beckett, Bill Gullickson, JR Richard, Jameson Taillon and four others who at least reached the majors.   Even so, there were 3 college bats drafted 1:2 who were better than any of those pitchers, per rWAR: Reggie Jackson, Will Clark and JD Drew.   Also college pitcher Justin Verlander.   So yeah, going with a HS pitcher is quite a gamble.   

O’s lost and D-Backs are up 7-0 in the 5th at home so it looks like we’ll be one game back going into Saturday’s games. The Jays are still alive in the AL Wild Card race so I expect them to take no prisoners this weekend. I think if we lose our last two games in Toronto we get the #1 pick. And I don’t care what Elias says in public — it’s always better to choose first rather than second, especially since there’s more money allotted to the team choosing first. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

O’s lost and D-Backs are up 7-0 in the 5th at home so it looks like we’ll be one game back going into Saturday’s games. The Jays are still alive in the AL Wild Card race so I expect them to take no prisoners this weekend. I think if we lose our last two games in Toronto we get the #1 pick. And I don’t care what Elias says in public — it’s always better to choose first rather than second, especially since there’s more money allotted to the team choosing first. 

The D-Backs have just allowed 6 runs in the 6th, it's a one run game.

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Did you honestly believe a 7-0 lead was safe with that team?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

They are great at losing.   The tragic number is down to 1.

It’s not happening…. One good thing that can make us feel better is that you can actually see some MLB pieces on our team and can be somewhat optimistic about an upward tick in wind next year. Hopefully Elias feels this way and will actually try to help the roster.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s unreal.  Saw them up 7-0 and felt good about that one.

Yup, being up 7-0 at home after five innings has to have a 95% win rate, especially considering the Rockies are a pretty bad team themselves. That loss probably ices the race for the #1 pick.