Britt joining in on the bash fest

Sports Guy

Just now, eddie83 said:

I’m not taking it personally, they get on my nerves that’s all. ?

At the end of the day it’s the Orioles fans who are hurt the most by this. The media doesn’t need them to cover the sport. The terrible attendance is bad for Baltimore, Padres fans don’t care. 

A bad NBA team can have an entertaining player, same with NFL. That said there are plenty of bad teams in other sports. They are just sports where an individual player has more impact. Baseball has it harder to entertain when a team doesn’t win. Generally speaking it’s young talent that does that. It’s fun to watch a 22 year old. How do they get those players? Not from the open market. 

This sport is not built like other ones. That needs to be accounted for by the media covering it.

My point is their solution has consequences they ignore. Look at how much chatter baseball had at the trade deadline this year. You can’t have it both ways. 

Nah, that doesn’t need to be taken into account.  It is up to ownership to put a team on the field that fans want to pay to see.  Most fans don’t even want to watch for free.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah, that doesn’t need to be taken into account.  It is up to ownership to put a team on the field that fans want to pay to see.  Most fans don’t even want to watch for free.  

Do you think this quality of play lasts forever? When the Astros won the WS in 17 was anyone still whining about 2012? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Do you think this quality of play lasts forever? When the Astros won the WS in 17 was anyone still whining about 2012? 

I don’t know.  Houston had ownership behind them willing to do what it took.  

I don’t know they we can say that here.

I also know that I’m sick of hearing about what Houston did.  It’s irrelevant to us.  Houston also developed elite, AS level young positional talent and made some very good trades to bring in the right pitching.  And despite what people think, Elias did NOT make those moves.  It was not his team.

So I don’t really know.  I like the potential and have said as much.  I think this year has shown us that maybe we don’t have this amazing development system, at least pitching wise, once they are at the ML level.  I think that has to worry everyone.

• Upvote 3

I can understand some of what this season has been, but I'm more concerned with what next season is going to look like.

There's really not much on the horizon to go from 50 wins to being at least competitive. I know a lot can happen in an off season, however they can't believe 2 players are going to drastically change the fortunes.

Toronto is immensely more talented than Baltimore and they're 7.5 back in the division. There's a lot of work too do for sure.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know.  Houston had ownership behind them willing to do what it took.  

I don’t know they we can say that here.

I also know that I’m sick of hearing about what Houston did.  It’s irrelevant to us.  Houston also developed elite, AS level young positional talent and made some very good trades to bring in the right pitching.  And despite what people think, Elias did NOT make those moves.  It was not his team.

So I don’t really know.  I like the potential and have said as much.  I think this year has shown us that maybe we don’t have this amazing development system, at least pitching wise, once they are at the ML level.  I think that has to worry everyone.

If the Orioles don’t develop well then we are screwed. It’s hard to be a major league starter. I had modest hopes for Kremer but not much else. I’m not happy about this year but I’m not deterred by it. I would be happy if one of these guys pan out. I wasn’t expecting much, better than what they have shown? Yes, a ton?, no. 

It’s not just about Houston. The Cubs did it, White Sox. All these teams outside of a handful went through ugly times. You accumulate talent and when it arrives you make additions.

I’m not telling you this is guaranteed to work. I just don’t see any other way. 

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I can understand some of what this season has been, but I'm more concerned with what next season is going to look like.

There's really not much on the horizon to go from 50 wins to being at least competitive. I know a lot can happen in an off season, however they can't believe 2 players are going to drastically change the fortunes.

Toronto is immensely more talented than Baltimore and they're 7.5 back in the division. There's a lot of work too do for sure.

It’s not going to be more competitive until they pitch better. It’s on Elias to improve that. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If the Orioles don’t develop well then we are screwed. It’s hard to be a major league starter. I had modest hopes for Kremer but not much else. I’m not happy about this year but I’m not deterred by it. I would be happy if one of these guys pan out. I wasn’t expecting much, better than what they have shown? Yes, a ton?, no. 

It’s not just about Houston. The Cubs did it, White Sox. All these teams outside of a handful went through ugly times. You accumulate talent and when it arrives you make additions.

I’m not telling you this is guaranteed to work. I just don’t see any other way. 

The WS also traded guys at peak value and got back great talent.  The Os failed to do that.

They aren’t a good comp Imo.

There are also teams that have failed doing it.

And of course there is another way.  They could operate like most franchises do.  They could try to win and build up the system.  

Again, this isn’t an either/or situation.  A lot of teams in the majors routinely draft lower and still spit out great teams and farm systems.  I don’t get why Os fans think they can only do one thing at a time.  It’s almost as if no one is paying attention to the rest of MLB and how many teams operate.

And yea I know..we had to tear everything down.  So what?  You can do that and be better at this level.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It’s not going to be more competitive until they pitch better. It’s on Elias to improve that. 

I understand that. They haven't shown that they can do that just yet, or the young pitchers were just never going to be effective. That's one Elias and company to figure out this off season.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The WS also traded guys at peak value and got back great talent.  The Os failed to do that.

They aren’t a good comp Imo.

There are also teams that have failed doing it.

And of course there is another way.  They could operate like most franchises do.  They could try to win and build up the system.  

Again, this isn’t an either/or situation.  A lot of teams in the majors routinely draft lower and still spit out great teams and farm systems.  I don’t get why Os fans think they can only do one thing at a time.  It’s almost as if no one is paying attention to the rest of MLB and how many teams operate.

And yea I know..we had to tear everything down.  So what?  You can do that and be better at this level.  

It’s Elias’ fault for the sins of the past? You can’t erase what happened. 

You say they can try to win and build up system. Ok how? We can’t go back in a time machine and redo 2017. 

Drafted high school arms back to back in 17 and 18. A College arm get here faster, will they be as good? My point being it takes patience.  

If your argument is a good organization should never have to go to the depths we are now, then I agree. We weren’t a good organization. 

If the Orioles kept as an example Cobb and Bundy, or added a better Matt Harvey type and went 64-98 this year are we closer to winning? No. The major league record as embarrassing as it is in not an indication of future success. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I understand that. They haven't shown that they can do that just yet, or the young pitchers were just never going to be effective. That's one Elias and company to figure out this off season.

Sure. He needs to add. It’s 100% on him to make this team more watchable.  You bring up Adley and get a couple of decent staters you aren’t a contender but you aren’t pathetic either. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure why people are so upset about these articles. Of course they don’t dig into all the details, but the basic premise is correct. The Orioles aren’t attempting to be competitive for the last 3 years. It’s very unlikely they will try to be competitive next year. These are just facts. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s Elias’ fault for the sins of the past? You can’t erase what happened. 

You say they can try to win and build up system. Ok how? We can’t go back in a time machine and redo 2017. 

Drafted high school arms back to back in 17 and 18. A College arm get here faster, will they be as good? My point being it takes patience.  

If your argument is a good organization should never have to go to the depths we are now, then I agree. We weren’t a good organization. 

If the Orioles kept as an example Cobb and Bundy, or added a better Matt Harvey type and went 64-98 this year are we closer to winning? No. The major league record as embarrassing as it is in not an indication of future success. 

No, it’s not Elias’ fault that the past was screwed up but just as you say they aren’t doing their homework, you aren’t doing yours if you compare the WS to us.