Should we claim Ka'ai Tom?

Hazmat

19 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said, but my point wasn’t that Stewart hits marginally better than McKenna. I don’t think I mentioned offense at all. The point is that McKenna offers more than Stewart. I certainly agree that he should have(had) a long look, Because of his draft pick Pedegree: however there comes a time when you’ve had enough of a look. Do you think he would still be here if he were a fifth round pick? Maybe, but I don’t think so. First round picks have more invested in them and therefore get a longer leash. But Stewart doesn’t hit well or defend well. At least with McKenna, you’re getting 50% of the equation.

Mckenna is valuable on defense. He’s not a starter but he is a late inning defensive replacement.

I’m not pushing any particular agenda or narrative. As I’ve made clear, I want all of the prospects( even the marginal ones) to get looks, Especially with a team like this. Also, it is logical, and simple human nature, that a higher draft pick is going to get a longer look. But once a player has shown who he is, there’s no argument against moving on.

It is quite possible that McKenna has also shown who he is, But who he is still has value to this club now. He might not be worthwhile when the team is winning 85 to 90 games, but he certainly is right now.

Arguing about whether Stewart or McKenna should be on the roster of this team right now is like passengers on the Titanic discussing whether the deck chairs or lounges should be brought in from the deck.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Arguing about whether Stewart or McKenna should be on the roster of this team right now is like passengers on the Titanic discussing whether the deck chairs or lounges should be brought in from the deck.

This always makes me laugh but for some reason I like both of these players. McKenna has actually hit in AAA this year. SSS though. Stewart is just going to always be streaky. 

15 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

McKenna has potential. Stewart is an OF/PH for the NL maybe…

If it wasn’t for that part of the game that requires you to hit the ball, McKenna could be somebody. Stewart just feels like a Nick Swisher waiting to happen. Once he leaves Baltimore 

Just now, owknows said:

The most notable difference between McKenna and Stewart, is that McKenna has never suffered a concussion after being struck in the head with a baseball... while attempting to field said baseball.

Maybe we will get to the point in this world in which everyone's most embarrassing professional misstep is plastered over the airwaves for all eternity.

Wouldn't that be great?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not?

Why shouldn't someone have as much joy bringing up your failure as you do mocking Stewart?

You're welcome to mock my greatest professional failure to your heart's content. I once miscalculated the power dissipation of a power MOSFET by two orders of magnitude in front of a room full of Electrical Engineers. That's easily the equivalent of getting hit in the head with a foul ball. I survived. As did Stewart.

People who make millions of dollars for playing a game that is photographed for observation by millions of devoted voyeurs (or at least several thousand in the case of the Orioles) should expect that both their triumphs and failings will be celebrated.

I would think it is part of the job.

although I'm sure they would appreciate your Don Quixote shtick in their defense.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

You're welcome to mock my greatest professional failure to your heart's content. I once miscalculated the power dissipation of a power MOSFET by two orders of magnitude in front of a room full of Electrical Engineers. That's easily the equivalent of getting hit in the head with a foul ball. I survived. As did Stewart.

People who make millions of dollars for playing a game that is photographed for observation by millions of devoted voyeurs (or at least several thousand in the case of the Orioles) should expect that both their triumphs and failings will be celebrated.

I would think it is part of the job.

although I'm sure they would appreciate your Don Quixote shtick in their defense.

Yea, it's part of the job.

But it's still kinda small to do it.

Over and over again.  It's tired, it's unimaginative. 

Hey, how about a Jack Cust falling down rounding third reference, everyone loves those.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Maybe you think Stewart getting hurt is still hilarious, I guess I should respect that.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, it's part of the job.

But it's still kinda small to do it.

Over and over again.  It's tired, it's unimaginative. 

Hey, how about a Jack Cust falling down rounding third reference, everyone loves those.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Maybe you think Stewart getting hurt is still hilarious, I guess I should respect that.

I'm sure every major league player will rest easier knowing that somewhere there's a self-righteous finger-wagging curmudgeon who is ready to take anyone to task if they even THINK about chuckling at a baseball blooper reel.

(sometimes your position is so ridiculous that it's hard to tell if you're serious)

Edited by owknows

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I'm sure every major league player will rest easier knowing that somewhere there's a self-righteous finger-wagging curmudgeon who is ready to take anyone to task if they even THINK about chuckling at a baseball blooper reel.

(sometimes your position is so ridiculous that it's hard to tell is you're serious)

I'm serious.  Two main issues.

1- Stewart did get hurt on the play.  I have a much harder time laughing when someone is actually hurt.  Concussions just aren't funny to me.

2- It's TIRED.  It's OLD.  It's LAZY.  Get some fresh material.  I'm sure he's screwed up a play this season, joke about that.

And yes, feel free to tell me my complaining is old, you won't be wrong.