Can We Finally Get Rid of Jorge Lopez?

Aristotelian

And please put to rest the notion that he is an effective pitcher for 1-2 innings and just needs to move to the bullpen. 

On 8/14, four run first inning, 7 ER in 3.1 IP.

Today, 4 ER, 2 IP. 

How can we keep throwing this guy out there? I would rather see Kremer back at this point. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not making excuses for Lopez, but he may have been pitching hurt today. I'm not ready to give up on him as a bullpen arm yet. 

So if something is wrong, how come they’re not aware of it. He woke up this morning, said, “everything is great I’m going to pitch today yay.” And then in the space of a couple of batters he suddenly falls apart? It’s not impossible but it is rather unlikely

• Upvote 1

There was something very weird going on with him today.  Presumably he wasn't hurt, they brought the trainer out in the first and then let him throw another inning.  It wasn't just FB velocity way down, it was all of his pitches.  Palmer commented on his body language along with other posters in the game thread, it was just like he was completely phoning it in or something.

No idea what was going on, but I hope everything is alright with him. 

56 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Someone on Twitter had mentioned Lopez’s son being sick and the obvious response after was “did he get some bad family news and try to tough things out?”

His son has been sick.  It’s awful And there isn’t anyone not sympathetic to that fact.  It’s why he was on bereavement leave recently.

It doesn’t change he that he isn’t a ML starter.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His son has been sick.  It’s awful And there isn’t anyone not sympathetic to that fact.  It’s why he was on bereavement leave recently.

It doesn’t change he that he isn’t a ML starter.

This is all correct, but something was clearly different today.  This season he has generally been awful with good velocity and decent stuff at times (and terrible command).  Every one of his pitches was 5-10 MPH down today, he was awful as he has been, but in a different way. 

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

This is all correct, but something was clearly different today.  This season he has generally been awful with good velocity and decent stuff at times (and terrible command).  Every one of his pitches was 5-10 MPH down today, he was awful as he has been, but in a different way. 

I kept noticing him like shrugging his right shoulder when he left the field.  I don’t know if that is a normal mannerism that I never picked up on before or what.

Ebel came out, so obviously they thought something was wrong.

Post game they asked him if he needed a break from baseball for a little bit.  His answer was not exactly NO.  He just said he worked his whole life to get here and he aint quitting.  Honorable but not helpful for the Orioles at this time.