Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

Just now, Philip said:

Although I don’t disagree with your point, he only has 45 innings this season?

45 good innings does not a career make.

On the other hand, Akin has 58 innings and I’m about ready to close the book on him. I guess small sample sizes are more encouraging when they are positive.

On the OTHER hand, Mike Wright got 250 innings of terrible pitching.

I’m happy to try Wells as a starter.

Wells looks to have good stuff.  Akin doesn't.  Mike Wright had a live arm and flashed every once in awhile, that's why he got to hang around and that's why you're okay with seeing more of Wells and ready to close the book on Akin.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he's fired people already, maybe not in the last couple of weeks.  Earlier this year I think he got rid of a bunch of people.  

An owner with a twitter account is entertaining though.  

He fired some guys when he bought the team but who wouldn't?  He gave Porter the boot but that was seen as a positive.

12 minutes ago, 27outs said:

Nah but I lived in Cedar Rapids when he was there and I followed him the whole way. He definitely is starter material. And Sports guy is a jerk to many. Sorry if that hurts (not really)

You saw him at CR FOUR YEARS ago. 

He was 22 pitching in high A ball and had a solid season.  Since 2017, he has thrown less than 170 professional innings, has had TJ surgery and just had the injury he had that knocked him for about a month.

His longest outing this year is 3 innings and he has only thrown 40 or more pitches twice all year.

And yet you think he’s going to be ready to throw 80-100 pitches and get 25+ starts in 2022?

Hey, I hope he does but I don’t see how anyone can think that, especially since they aren’t trying him as a starter in a year where we have some of the worst starting pitching in baseball history.  Hopefully he gets some starts in Sept.  I think he should.  I just don’t see any reason to believe he will.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You saw him at CR FOUR YEARS ago. 

He was 22 pitching in high A ball and had a solid season.  Since 2017, he has thrown less than 170 professional innings, has had TJ surgery and just had the injury he had that knocked him for about a month.

His longest outing this year is 3 innings and he has only thrown 40 or more pitches twice all year.

And yet you think he’s going to be ready to throw 80-100 pitches and get 25+ starts in 2022?

Hey, I hope he does but I don’t see how anyone can think that, especially since they aren’t trying him as a starter in a year where we have some of the worst starting pitching in baseball history.  Hopefully he gets some starts in Sept.  I think he should.  I just don’t see any reason to believe he will.  

If he gets starts, obviously they should limit his pitch count.  I could see them using him as an opener, get to 50 pitches and bring in Lopez for the next 40-50 pitches.

But more importantly, they need to have him finish the season on a high note and have him on a workout program this winter to perhaps be a starter next year.  Even then, I don't know if he's ready for 25 starts next year at 80-100 pitches.  Maybe he's a swingman next year and a full time starter in 2023.  

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I respect the fact that SSS and optimism rules your posts.  That’s great.

But you just aren’t a realistic person.  The Orioles are not going to have a starting rotation made up of only developed guys.  It’s just not happening.  

Some stuff you say here is true..a lot of it is meaningless bs.  

I did not say that the O's shouldn't add starter(s). I do think its bull that there is nothing in the system but Grayson.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

If he gets starts, obviously they should limit his pitch count.  I could see them using him as an opener, get to 50 pitches and bring in Lopez for the next 40-50 pitches.

But more importantly, they need to have him finish the season on a high note and have him on a workout program this winter to perhaps be a starter next year.  Even then, I don't know if he's ready for 25 starts next year at 80-100 pitches.  Maybe he's a swingman next year and a full time starter in 2023.  

It could be a slow build to a starter.  That’s certainly possible but I don’t see how you can be so definitive that he will be a major part of the Orioles next staff.  Maybe it was 27outs but not that long ago, a poster on here said Wells was our second best pitching prospect (iirc, that was the wording).  That’s insane.  It’s just not a logical thing to say.

The numbers he posted are great…but it’s in a SSS pitching 1-3 innings at a time.  It’s not over the course of going through lineups multiple times or anything like that, so we really don’t know if the stuff holds up over the course of a full season, going through the lineups 2-3 times. 

I appreciate the fact that he saw him And is high on his stuff.  Nothing wrong with that.  But that’s also 4 years ago and he’s in a very different place in his career now than he was then.  

I wish they would give him starts. But as of right now, there isn’t any indication that they want to or will.  He can be upset that I’m saying that but show me the evidence that suggests otherwise.

Just now, wildcard said:

I did not say that the O's shouldn't add starter(s). I do think its bull that there is nothing in the system but Grayson.

I think there are other guys…I just think we will be lucky to get one more good starter out of any of them. 

I like the talent but not sure I buy into as a Ml starter and buy that the team can develop it properly.

If you can get Grayson and Baumann or Hall and the rest are part of your next dominant pen, that’s a big win imo. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And btw, when I say a starter, I mean an actual starter.  Not an opener.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is….but that still doesn’t change what I said.  He is a very over the top optimistic guy.  Nothing wrong with having that mindset but it’s not realistic.  Talking about Wells being a starter 3 years ago in the lower minors really doesn’t mean anything.

His defense is basically, everything will work out fine, blah blah blah.  It’s just not realistic at all.  

Tyler made 21 starts at A+/AA before his injury.  And I am betting that next spring Elias/Holt stretches him out in ST and make a decision on whether the team needs him as a starter or reliever.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It could be a slow build to a starter.  That’s certainly possible but I don’t see how you can be so definitive that he will be a major part of the Orioles next staff.  Maybe it was 27outs but not that long ago, a poster on here said Wells was our second best pitching prospect (iirc, that was the wording).  That’s insane.  It’s just not a logical thing to say.

The numbers he posted are great…but it’s in a SSS pitching 1-3 innings at a time.  It’s not over the course of going through lineups multiple times or anything like that, so we really don’t know if the stuff holds up over the course of a full season, going through the lineups 2-3 times. 

I appreciate the fact that he saw him And is high on his stuff.  Nothing wrong with that.  But that’s also 4 years ago and he’s in a very different place in his career now than he was then.  

I wish they would give him starts. But as of right now, there isn’t any indication that they want to or will.  He can be upset that I’m saying that but show me the evidence that suggests otherwise.

Eh, well compared to whoever else we've had this year, he certainly looks like he could be a major part of the Orioles next staff, be it the best option out of the pen (he already is), or maybe a starter. 

Now that's not a high bar to hurdle at the moment, but it looks like he's definitely got a role on the team next year.  Outside of Means, I'm not sure anyone else on the staff can say the same.  Part of the next winning team?  Remains to be seen.

I'd agree, saying he's the second best pitching prospect would be wrong.  But they've gotta stretch him out to give him starts unless they're going to use him as an opener.  I'd like to see him get starts next year, certainly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, when I say a starter, I mean an actual starter.  Not an opener.

Gotcha, and noted.  I think they can use him as an opener this year, keeping in mind what his current pitch counts have been.  

Maybe actual starting next year after a program this winter.  IMO, that's what they should do.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It’s amazing how the perception has changed in a year.   Last October I had reasonably high hopes for Akin/Kremer/Lowther/Baumann/Wells etc.   Now it seems like everyone’s a bum, or injured.   And I’m legitimately worried that Hall could be another Dylan Bundy/Hunter Harvey who never gets through a season intact.   

We really need to catch a break with a couple of these guys.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, well compared to whoever else we've had this year, he certainly looks like he could be a major part of the Orioles next staff, be it the best option out of the pen (he already is), or maybe a starter. 

Now that's not a high bar to hurdle at the moment, but it looks like he's definitely got a role on the team next year.  Outside of Means, I'm not sure anyone else on the staff can say the same.  Part of the next winning team?  Remains to be seen.

I'd agree, saying he's the second best pitching prospect would be wrong.  But they've gotta stretch him out to give him starts unless they're going to use him as an opener.  I'd like to see him get starts next year, certainly.

They should be stretching him out..but they aren’t.  Why?  There has to be a reason for it. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tyler made 21 starts at A+/AA before his injury.  And I am betting that next spring Elias/Holt stretches him out in ST and make a decision on whether the team needs him as a starter or reliever.

They may…but I will keep the asking the same question…why aren’t they doing it now?

In fact, they are going the opposite way.  He was pitching multiple innings and now they try him more in late innings, high leverage situations.  That’s seems to me to be an indication that they think he’s a back end of the pen guy.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They should be stretching him out..but they aren’t.  Why?  There has to be a reason for it. 

Probably not the best reason, but I've gotta think that for this year only, if they can have one guy being stable in one area, that's a small win for them.  If he can be good out of the pen right now, that's one less hole in the dam.  I mean, who'd they replace him with in the bullpen?

That's a shortsighted view, for sure.  But IMO they're just trying to get through this season with bubblegum and duct tape.  They'll stretch him out in the offseason, I hope.