Eduardo Rodriguez

Pickles

54 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Peter Angelos would sometimes spend, but usually stupidly.  On Chris Davis and a bunch of zeros trying to prop up 75-win teams.

But then he'd seem to take away that spending was useless, and he'd hold the line for years.  He'd say idiotic things like no pitcher was worth a long contract or Mike Mussina money.  And the league-leading payroll of $80M in 1998 became the 15th or 20th-highest $80M payroll 10 years later.

We don't know what the boys will do.  Sometimes sons mirror their fathers, sometimes they Costanza their old man and do the opposite, and sometimes it's a mix.  But I am somewhat optimistic that they've let Elias do his thing so far.  Peter would not have.

I like this outlook.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They hired him but that was 3 years ago.  Does he give them the same confidence today that he did then?

You would think so, since he isn’t trying to win and they know that but still.  I was told some rumblings that made me think there could be some chinks in the armor there but I don’t know how real the rumor is.  It was a good source but need to see if something comes out of it.  

I'd like to hear more about this. So the sons are not happy? I can see why when in the midst of a 19 game losing streak. 

47 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I'd like to hear more about this. So the sons are not happy? I can see why when in the midst of a 19 game losing streak. 

It’s not something I would share in public, especially since I don’t know how much truth there is in it 

And I don’t know that I would say what I heard means they are unhappy….but perhaps some doubt has crept in if it is true.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not something I would share in public, especially since I don’t know how much truth there is in it 

And I don’t know that I would say what I heard means they are unhappy….but perhaps some doubt has crept in if it is true.

Elias is building a rotation out of Rule 5 picks and reclamation projects like Matt Harvey what exactly do the Angelos brothers expect? All indications are that the Orioles are working on a limited budget. 

Prospects are going to be MLB ready next year so if the plan is to supplement with outside talent this offseason is the time to start. The Angelos family is going to have to open their wallets eventually if they want to compete. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias is building a rotation out of Rule 5 picks and reclamation projects like Matt Harvey what exactly do the Angelos brothers expect? All indications are that the Orioles are working on a limited budget. 

I agree with this. I don't think there's much chance that Elias had more money to spend last winter and just chose not to. 

If the brothers are beginning to wonder if there's a chink in the armor with Elias, I'd like to think they recognize that one need is more major league budget. That may not manifest itself until late January or February, but small budget increases should show up this winter.

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

I agree with this. I don't think there's much chance that Elias had more money to spend last winter and just chose not to. 

If the brothers are beginning to wonder if there's a chink in the armor with Elias, I'd like to think they recognize that one need is more major league budget. That may not manifest itself until late January or February, but small budget increases should show up this winter.

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Prospects are going to be MLB ready next year so if the plan is to supplement with outside talent this offseason is the time to start. The Angelos family is going to have to open their wallets eventually if they want to compete. 

Are people born into extreme privilege generally reasonable in their expectations?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hence me saying generally.

Yes and "generally" as used in that sentence would be as a modifier, akin to saying "usually reasonable" or "normally reasonable" so I'm not understanding your distinction. However, the last thing I want to do is even appear that I might be arguing with you so instead of that, let me say "oh yeah, I see. Good point".

Hope you have a great Friday night. 

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are people born into extreme privilege generally reasonable in their expectations?

36 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I'm positive that's something I couldn't answer from first hand knowledge. 

Maybe I’m not remembering this correctly, but Peter Angelos didn’t really get wealthy until the asbestos lawsuit was settled in 1991. The sons probably had a decent childhood, but I doubt they grew up very wealthy as opposed to upper middle class. 

I know where Peter Angelos home was in the mid-90’s and it wasn’t a mansion or anything close to it. 

That said things could have changed after becoming wealthy and owning the Orioles. 

56 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I’m hoping it’s just following the Astros rebuild and when prospects start getting promoted the Orioles start spending money on free agents and trades. 

This offseason seems like a good time to start spending money on players. Whether the Angelos brothers agree remains to be seen. 

Not sure if people are noticing the marked change in rhetoric coming from Elias the last few times he's spoken to the press.

Rhetoric suggesting that we're entering a new phase of the rebuild.. and that it's time to start looking at adding impact players, etc..

I'm paraphrasing here... but that has been the gist of it.

For reasons some have already stated, its tough to add first tier impact FA's to a losing club...but not impossible.. and won't necessarily have to break the bank. We have a decent hitting core already..  add a couple of pieces to the middle/left of the infield and bring up AR... and you're among the top offenses in the league.

Akin is showing signs of not being useless. Means, Akin, and maybe a decent FA pitcher, and you're playing at least watchable baseball again.

I'm probably in limited company, but I'm still on the Elias bandwagon until he gives me a reason to think otherwise. Thusfar he has not