Henderson vs. Mayo at Delmarva

Frobby

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Im ranking Hall the lowest...not because of ceiling but because of floor and risk factor.  Love the kid as a pure prospect but I think the other 3 have big ceilings too and are far more likely to hit them, even if Hall is the one at the highest level and has done well at that higher level.

I am just so impressed with what Mayo is doing and the immense power he has is really eye opening.  What's really intriguing is that we can have this conversation and talk about Mayo's power and his power may be second or even third in the organization because of Adley and Kjerstad.

Agree on Hall. He may have the biggest upside but the control is a concern even if he’s healthy. I need to see him pitch again before I put him above some others. After 2, I’d rank them like this:

Cowser

Mayo

Henderson

Hall

Westburg

Any idea on how Mayo’s infield chances are compared to Mountcastle’s? His MLB Pipeline scouting report mentions that he may have to move to LF or 1B in the future. I feel like Mountcastle played the minors almost entirely out of position at SS and 3B and I cant help but wonder how much better  defensively Mountcastle (and perhaps Mayo) would be long term to have more experience in the minors playing the position(s) they are ultimately suited for at the MLB level.

Also, Im kind of new to following minor league performance. Is it normal for MLB SS and 3B to have struggled defensively in the minors before they figured it out? I did a historical look back at Nolan Arenado’s scouting report and saw some skepticism about his defensive play, but he ended up becoming a very good MLB defensive 3B. 

33 minutes ago, Paganosfan said:

Any idea on how Mayo’s infield chances are compared to Mountcastle’s? His MLB Pipeline scouting report mentions that he may have to move to LF or 1B in the future. I feel like Mountcastle played the minors almost entirely out of position at SS and 3B and I cant help but wonder how much better  defensively Mountcastle (and perhaps Mayo) would be long term to have more experience in the minors playing the position(s) they are ultimately suited for at the MLB level.

Also, Im kind of new to following minor league performance. Is it normal for MLB SS and 3B to have struggled defensively in the minors before they figured it out? I did a historical look back at Nolan Arenado’s scouting report and saw some skepticism about his defensive play, but he ended up becoming a very good MLB defensive 3B. 

I just don't see the value of him being at 1B.  His arm is a 70 IIRC.  If anything, you move him to RF or at the worst LF.  But putting him at 1B completely negates one of his biggest strengths.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Paganosfan said:

Mayo has a significantly better chance to stick on the left side of the infield than Mountcastle ever did mainly because of the significant difference in arm strength. saying that, Mayo is very big for 3B (6-5) and though we have seen more 3B of late play at that height, its still rare because those guys tend to not have the footspeed needed to go to their left or come in as they grow into the frame. 

I'm on the fence when it comes to Mayo's chances of sticking at 3B. He's got plenty or arm and his throws are fine when he gets his footwork right, but that is still a work in progress. the fact that he's stolen some bases makes me think he's got some quick twitch muscle ability which could allow him stay at 3B as his body grows into his large frame. If he does have to move at some point, I'd try him in RF first before moving him to 1B in order to take advantage of his plus plus arm.

As for your second part, yes, many future 3B and SS have struggled defensively initially, particularly when drafted out of high school.  What I look for are the tools to play the positions and I don't worry as much about the errors unless they are out of control. Once a player gets to AA then you start paying a little more attention to errors, but for now, I would keep playing Mayo at 3B.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

Agree on Hall. He may have the biggest upside but the control is a concern even if he’s healthy. I need to see him pitch again before I put him above some others. After 2, I’d rank them like this:

Cowser

Mayo

Henderson

Hall

Westburg

As of this minute I'd go:

3) Mayo, 4) Cowser, 5) Hall, 6) Henderson, 7) Westburg (or other)

I'll take Mayo's power over Cowser's approach, though I love both. Also take Hall's risk at his level over Gunnar's. I know batting average isn't a great stat, but his OPS is actually not the problem in my eyes. He's just not making a ton of contact. The power's there when he does, but I'm hoping for a significant jump in BA next year in addition to a more reliable glove, which I think will happen.

I really like Westburg, but am just not sure where in the 8-10 range I'd put him. Mostly out of my own ignorance of the guys also close to that spot.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well let’s just blow Eric’s optimism out the water with these comps

Cowser - Markakis

Mayo - Glaus

Henderson - Bregman

Westburg - Hardy

I would be a very, very happy O's fan. Makes we want to break out Strat-o-Matic on the Windows machine and run some scenarios. However, need some pitching.... GRod as DeGrom, DL Hall as Kershaw? That should make things interesting!

I don't think it's right to compare the two.  Both have incredible talent and bright futures.  In a few years the middle of our lineup has the potential to be insane with Mountcastle/Rutschman/Mayo/Henderson/Cowser/Westburg.  For some of them the positions still need to be figured out, but that batting order could pack a lot of punch.

13 hours ago, yark14 said:

I don't think it's right to compare the two.  Both have incredible talent and bright futures.  In a few years the middle of our lineup has the potential to be insane with Mountcastle/Rutschman/Mayo/Henderson/Cowser/Westburg.  For some of them the positions still need to be figured out, but that batting order could pack a lot of punch.

2023+ will be a fun run with those guys. Hopefully we also get the #1 pick(Greene) and Kjerstad(former #2) can play. Oh and we also have Stowers. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2023+ will be a fun run with those guys. Hopefully we also get the #1 pick(Greene) and Kjerstad(former #2) can play. Oh and we also have Stowers. 

I would like to see some guys who can play plus defense in the infield.   I don’t think a bunch of solid bats who are just adequate defensively at 2B/3B/SS is a winning formula.   I’m not saying I want a bunch of all defense guys there, I’m saying I want guys who do both well.   And I think the jury is still out on Westburg/Henderson/Mayo on that score.