Jones optioned

Pushmonkey

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

A little surprising, but what has Jones done to stay the last 16 games? Still a good prospect, but has work to do. Probably sent down for Ciuffo to get a look while Severino recovers. Need to see Ciuffo too. 

Also FWIW, Cuiffo did not play in the Norfolk game today. Brett Cumberland was the starter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

Could be they are going to bring up a catcher for the Boston series because Pedro will be out a couple more days but not long enough to go on the IL.   And they felt he was the most expendable.  He has been getting very little playing time of late.

So he scored the winning run to beat the Yankees and they told him to just keep on running to Norfolk.

If we hadn't won it Valaika was catching the 11th. And nobody (but the Skanks) wants to see that!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can explain it:  He's not good.

Doesn't mean he won't get another opportunity but it's not like he impressed all that much.

Bingo.

See also: they prioritize guys who can play SS (Valaika and Martin and Urias). 

See also: there's obviously some kind of injury making this necessary and Jones was just the odd guy out rather than having to DFA Pat again. 

2 hours ago, Griffey said:

Is it just me, or does Jones just look stiff, uncomfortable and unathletic out there?  He just doesn't look the part the way that Mateo does.  I know that looks don't hit/field, but he certainly doesn't pass the eyeball test.

I would have said the same about Jonathan Schoop but his arm and athleticism made up for any lack of range. Not sure if that's the case here.