Hyde will be back in 2022

Sports Guy

I think Brandon does a good job of keeping the players motivated.  There is not enough talent to win but there is no quit in this group.

I look for Ownership and Elias to fill some holes this off season and we will see how Hyde can do with more talent next year.  Its probably a make or break year for him as every season will be from here on out as the O's try to dig out of the hole.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Brandon does a good job of keeping the players motived.  There is not enough talent to win but there is no quit in this group.

I look for Ownership and Elias to fill some holes this off season and we will see how Hyde can do with more talent next year.  Its probably a make or break year for him as every season will be from here on out as the O's try to dig out of the hole.

I think the "no quit" theory was tested mightily during the longer losing streaks this summer. Those were pretty brutal, and you can tell by the body language of a few players (John Means wants to be pretty much anywhere else right now) that it's worn them down. But yes, the players, whether due to their own personal work ethic and professionalism or through Hyde's motivation, have found a way to re-engage and finish as strong as they can with the talent they have. I posted on Facebook about how I liked Hyde for his - ahem... interaction? - with Robbie Ray a few weeks ago. Players respond to that, or at least I would have as a player. I do not think Hyde is a good manager, but he's the guy for this particular job, which is not meant to be insulting. There's just too much evidence that he's not a good in-game manager to suggest that he's capable of leading this team into meaningful baseball games again.

29 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I think the "no quit" theory was tested mightily during the longer losing streaks this summer. Those were pretty brutal, and you can tell by the body language of a few players (John Means wants to be pretty much anywhere else right now) that it's worn them down. But yes, the players, whether due to their own personal work ethic and professionalism or through Hyde's motivation, have found a way to re-engage and finish as strong as they can with the talent they have. I posted on Facebook about how I liked Hyde for his - ahem... interaction? - with Robbie Ray a few weeks ago. Players respond to that, or at least I would have as a player. I do not think Hyde is a good manager, but he's the guy for this particular job, which is not meant to be insulting. There's just too much evidence that he's not a good in-game manager to suggest that he's capable of leading this team into meaningful baseball games again.

No there’s not.  Most fans complain about the in games managing of their manager.  Its usually baseless.

• Upvote 1

The 2021 Orioles are a team of young and/or experienced guys on the brink of MLB and fighting to stay there and get playing time, with a few cases of more established guys motivated to prove their value (and put up numbers for coming arbitrations), plus a few low-cost veterans on one-year contracts. I don't know how Hyde contributed to keeping the players motivated, but I don't think it would be that hard with a group like that. He's been a bad teacher and in-game manager in my opinion, but I find it hard to judge the later because I don't know how much of his direction from Elias has been to win games and how much it's been to put players, especially relief pitchers, on the field to see how they do.

I haven't counted, but I think an overwhelming majority of those who've commented here have said that when the Orioles believe they're capable of competing (or some formulation like that), Hyde will be (or should be) cut loose in an upgrade to a more expensive manager who will be better at producing wins from a more talented team.

The extension of Hyde tells me that, at the time he was extended, the emphasis of ownership and Elias was on preserving the status quo and on minimizing cost (in terms of the 2022 manager's salary and the length of his contract). That confirms my belief in the following: (a) the dollars invested in improving the team for 2022 will be minimal, or (b) the team will be sold soon after Peter Angelos's death, or (c) both. And most likely both.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that they’d kept it quiet all season that he signed a one-year extension last offseason.   They really do keep a tight lid on things.  

When asked, he said he could not comment on his schedule but happy to be back next year. Really strange how this organization deals with this kind of stuff.

Like we still have no idea what the length of Elias' contract actually is at this point.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

When asked, he said he could not comment on his schedule but happy to be back next year. Really strange how this organization deals with this kind of stuff.

Like we still have no idea what the length of Elias' contract actually is at this point.

It also shows us, that the leaks in the warehouse for information, appears to be plugged, when Elias did his housekeeping on arrival.

It is a Good Will Hunting "It's Not Your Fault" situation, but B-Ref today has him 28th all-time at -121 games relative to .500 on his career, precisely half the -242 record on that particular chart.   Naturally that old school rebuilder HOF Connie Mack is third here.

Many of the 27 lower did it over longer hauls, but the ones with similar winning percentages:

-227, 19th Century guy, .313

-200, almost 19th Century guy, .334

-182, World War II era guy, .301

-152, Roy Hartsfield 1977-1979, .343

-121, Brandon Hyde, .339

Ned Yost and Manny Acta are the two 21st Century guys in the .400's with more counting stats for now, though only about 20 more below.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/

The secrecy thing seems wacko. I think MLB should make teams release basic contract info of the GM, manager, etc. It seems to send a weird message to the fans when we are not even going to tell you the contract status of the manager. What's the benefit of keeping fans in the dark? Are the O's just trying to remove contract status as a media focus? 

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing about it, it cuts way back on media and public discussion of whether these guys will be brought back, have contracts renewed or extended, etc.   When the public knows the length of the contracts, speculation runs pretty rampant any time a GM or Manager gets within a year of his/her contact expiration date.   But it’s harder to speculate about it when you have no idea when the contract ends.   

23 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

It is a Good Will Hunting "It's Not Your Fault" situation, but B-Ref today has him 28th all-time at -121 games relative to .500 on his career, precisely half the -242 record on that particular chart.   Naturally that old school rebuilder HOF Connie Mack is third here.

Many of the 27 lower did it over longer hauls, but the ones with similar winning percentages:

-227, 19th Century guy, .313

-200, almost 19th Century guy, .334

-182, World War II era guy, .301

-152, Roy Hartsfield 1977-1979, .343

-121, Brandon Hyde, .339

Ned Yost and Manny Acta are the two 21st Century guys in the .400's with more counting stats for now, though only about 20 more below.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/

Hartsfield was the caretaker manager for the expansion Blue Jays.   They always planned to go in another direction once they were ready to contend, which a lot of people hypothesize is going to be the case with Hyde.