Orioles re-sign 3 MiLB Free Agents

Legend_Of_Joey

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, if he was just a minor league free agent and teams weren't pounding on his door, not sure why they'd grab him in the Rule V

He's a got a good fastball that can reach 98 MPH, so a team could potentially take a chance on him as a reliever, which is probably where he future resides. Despite the velocity, he doesn't get a ton of swing and miss but on the plus side, batters don't hit him consistently either. But when they do, he has a high Line Drive rate which suggests his mistakes are fairly meaty. 

Like you said, any team could have tried to sign him and even offered a 40-man spot if they really liked him, so it's doubtful he will be protected. Saying all that, I haven't totally looked at the 40-man and players that need to be protected so I can't fully say he's worth a 40-man spot or not. 

My opinion now would be no, but there are some things to like with him now that his walk rate has come way down.

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

If they sign as FAs they're still exposed to Rule 5?  I didn't think they were, but based on the comments above sounds like that's not correct.

Remember Chris Gomez?   He signed a MiL deal with us on December 8, 2004 and was claimed in the Rule 5 draft five days later, much to the embarrassment of Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Remember Chris Gomez?   He signed a MiL deal with us on December 8, 2004 and was claimed in the Rule 5 draft five days later, much to the embarrassment of Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan.   

If Peralta is taken in the Rule 5 draft I would not consider in an embarrassment.    It one thing to be taken and another to stick.   His walk rate has been high in A+, AA and AAA.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Peralta is taken in the Rule 5 draft I would not consider in an embarrassment.    It one thing to be taken and another to stick.   His walk rate has been high in A+, AA and AAA.

I was merely citing a past example of a MiL free agent signing a contract and then getting chosen in the Rule 5 draft, to answer @glenn_davis’s question.  I’m not particularly worried about whether we lose Peralta or not.   He has flashes of brilliance but has never had any consistency.    His command comes and goes.   I was much more disappointed at losing Zach Pop than I’d be if we lost Peralta.   

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I thought maybe you were joking and then I thought "maybe he's serious"?  Say it ain't so!

The Orioles clearly weren't joking when they promoted him to AAA. But he did have a bad season for 1B. We'll see what the offseason brings. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

The Orioles clearly weren't joking when they promoted him to AAA. But he did have a bad season for 1B. We'll see what the offseason brings. 

Ripken, as far as I know, throws lefthanded so SS and 3B are out.  His career OPS in the minors is under .600.   It's tough to regain your footing if you've never had it.   Yes, he briefly put up some semi-respectable numbers in 2019 but he's a complete non-prospect.   I'm not sure what the endgame is.   Maybe he wants to get into coaching and is just getting as much player experience as possible.   I'm not sure, besides nepotism, is in it for the Orioles.   This is about as far as nepotism has ever gotten a player with credentials as dubious as Ryan Ripken's.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was merely citing a past example of a MiL free agent signing a contract and then getting chosen in the Rule 5 draft, to answer @glenn_davis’s question.  I’m not particularly worried about whether we lose Peralta or not.   He has flashes of brilliance but has never had any consistency.    His command comes and goes.   I was much more disappointed at losing Zach Pop than I’d be if we lost Peralta.   

I get it but I'll take a starter with mediocre results who throws mid 90's over a career minor league reliever who throws mid 90's, 90% of the time.   The starter probably has a deeper repertoire (even if it's 2 pitches) and might gain 3-4 mph if used exclusively out of the pen.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ripken, as far as I know, throws lefthanded so SS and 3B are out.  His career OPS in the minors is under .600.   It's tough to regain your footing if you've never had it.   Yes, he briefly put up some semi-respectable numbers in 2019 but he's a complete non-prospect.   I'm not sure what the endgame is.   Maybe he wants to get into coaching and is just getting as much player experience as possible.   I'm not sure, besides nepotism, is in it for the Orioles.   This is about as far as nepotism has ever gotten a player with credentials as dubious as Ryan Ripken's.

Didn't someone toss his name out there earlier this year when he had a good week?

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I get it but I'll take a starter with mediocre results who throws mid 90's over a career minor league reliever who throws mid 90's, 90% of the time.   The starter probably has a deeper repertoire (even if it's 2 pitches) and might gain 3-4 mph if used exclusively out of the pen.

So are you saying you’d protect Peralta over Pop if given the choice?   I think that’s what you mean, but I wasn’t sure.  

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a got a good fastball that can reach 98 MPH, so a team could potentially take a chance on him as a reliever, which is probably where he future resides. Despite the velocity, he doesn't get a ton of swing and miss but on the plus side, batters don't hit him consistently either. But when they do, he has a high Line Drive rate which suggests his mistakes are fairly meaty. 

Like you said, any team could have tried to sign him and even offered a 40-man spot if they really liked him, so it's doubtful he will be protected. Saying all that, I haven't totally looked at the 40-man and players that need to be protected so I can't fully say he's worth a 40-man spot or not. 

My opinion now would be no, but there are some things to like with him now that his walk rate has come way down.

I agree with all that. It's just puzzling to me that if a team liked a guy, they wouldn't try to sign him when he's freely available in favor of waiting for the Rule V so they can have the privilege of paying an extra $50,000 for him and having to keep them on the MLB roster all year.

I think I posted a while back saying I thought a team might take a chance on Peralta in the Rule V, but that was before I knew he'd be a minor league free agent at year's end