BA looks at Os system

Sports Guy

From that chat, the question was when Adley would be brought up in 2022. 

A portion of Meoli's reply:

The Orioles have frequently fallen back on the position in a lot of the things they've done in recent years that they're only trying to compete in the system that the game has set up, and I can't imagine that tune would change for something as significant as keeping a player of Rutschman's talents in Baltimore for an extra year if they have the chance to.

• Like 1

His opinion on Yusniel Diaz is that the talent has always been there, just needs to be healthy enough long enough to show what he's got. 

Meoli:

As far as his future in Baltimore, the leash is probably shorter than past years but they're not in a position 40-man roster-wise to need to move on from him any time soon. This front office didn't trade for him, though, and thus won't make any accommodations for him they wouldn't make for anyone else. He has to earn his way to the big leagues, and time is certainly not on his side.

• Like 1

Meoli on International players next season:

I think a few of the players they traded for, like right-hander Jean Pinto and outfielder Mishael Deson, who ended at Delmarva could be back there to start 2022, and then some of the standouts from their own signing classes like outfielders Luis González and Stiven Acevedo and infielder Moises Ramírez could make the jump as well.

• Upvote 2

Here's Meoli's response to a question about Cowser that I thought was an interesting take for the entire 2021 draft class:

I think the developmental pivot-point for him, and to some extent the Orioles' entire group of 2021 hitters they took, will be how they're able to bring more power into play without sacrificing the strengths he already has. Will whatever is lost in the contact ability and bat control worth it if he's geared toward power more?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justD said:

His opinion on Yusniel Diaz is that the talent has always been there, just needs to be healthy enough long enough to show what he's got. 

Meoli:

I think that Diaz is protected in the Rule 5 draft but is traded this off season for a prospect that in not of the 40 man roster.  O's are going to need that 40 man spot and Diaz is now at least the 8th outfielder in the the system that will be at AAA or above.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think that Diaz is protected in the Rule 5 draft but is traded this off season for a prospect that in not of the 40 man roster.  O's are going to need that 40 man spot and Diaz is now at least the 8th outfielder in the the system that will be at AAA or above.

The Os don’t need a 40 man spot right now.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Pitch number two was absolute filth. 

What a great view. Can really see how his pitches move side to side. He can cut the ball in on LH hitters or run it away from them. Obviously also true against righties. That's such an important weapon to get both LH and RH hitters out. A lot of guys don't have that in their arsenal.

Very extensive chat by Meoli.  He pointed out a couple of thing that make me think.

1) Does Westburg see the big leagues at any point in 2022?

Jon Meoli: I think it may be a stretch, but definitely isn't out of the question. The Orioles like how he adjusted to the advanced competition at Double-A Bowie late in the season after he started out terribly. He had a .563 OPS in his first three series there, and a .918 OPS in his last three. He could spend most of 2022 at Triple-A Norfolk, and then it's just a matter of whether all the non-baseball reasons to not bring him up exist or not. 

Wildcard:  Westburg was promoted to Bowie on August 17th.   He struggled a first which makes his 232/323/429/752 line at Bowie not look that that impressive.  But he made the adjustment and in 67 September at bats he  hit 299/364/612/976.   Now that is impressive.  If he follows that up with a good April at Bowie I think he will gets promoted to AAA pretty early in the season to play SS.

That could have some impact on who get protected this off season.   While Grenier is a fringe-ish  prospect the O's do need a good AAA defensive SS that is available to be called to the majors if there are injuries in the infield.  That's among the best reasons to protect Grenier.  But if Westburg is that close to being the AAA shortstop that reason goes away.   I hadn't realize that before Meoli comment. 

2)  Bradish: he's clearly established himself as the third-best pitching prospect in the organization's eyes. There's some skepticism about what he ultimately is outside the Orioles, but they believe his pitches are going to work in the big leagues as long as he repeats his delivery and stays on the attack.   

Wildcard:  Meoli ranked Bradish as the 9th best O's prospect.  Ahead of Baumann.  Even though Baumann put up a 2.00 ERA and a 1.148 WHIP in 6 starts at AAA.  He is probably behind Bradish because he had trouble pitching to the Red Sox and Jays in Sept.  Meanwhile Bradish struggled with a 5.25 ERA in his first 14 starts at AAA until he turned it around in Sept/Oct with 5 starts at a 1.80 ERA.    Seems pretty similar to me.

3) At some point the Orioles need to start winning games right? Are there moves they could make this winter to start becoming semi-competitive?

Jon Meoli: I think it would be fantastic if the Orioles won more games. I'm not sure they think they're ready to do that yet, which means trading for or signing a mid-rotation starter the way they should isn't likely to happen this year.

Wildcard:  Seems like Meoli has already thrown the white flag on the off season.  I am not giving up yet.

• Upvote 1