Some Intriguing prospects up for Rule 5 grabs (in my opinion):

DocJJ

Well after seeing some of these write ups in the OP, this makes me less bullish on the possibility of any of the pitchers we exposed getting drafted (Peralta, Sedlock, Vespi).  Seems there are plenty of live arms available, and younger with potentially more upside than our crew.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:51 AM, scOtt said:

To you and all the rest, we DON'T need a C in the Rule V. What we need is a CHEAP FA, grisled old veteran like Caleb Joseph (but not NOW, not at his age...) to help teach Adley the ropes of being a ML C.

Nope. Not worried about signing some washed up dude to teach the #1 prospect who led his team to the CWS and then every minor league team since. Adley will be just fine. If he needs a coach. Hire one.

I'm guessing the O's take 2 or 3 guys. I'd be cool with a young C if the description is accurate, but I kind of doubt it really is. I love the idea of stashing the guy with TJ surgery, but would really be ok with a lot of profiles from different positions. Arms seem easiest though. Find a live one or two and hope.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Nope. Not worried about signing some washed up dude to teach the #1 prospect who led his team to the CWS and then every minor league team since. Adley will be just fine. If he needs a coach. Hire one.

I'm guessing the O's take 2 or 3 guys. I'd be cool with a young C if the description is accurate, but I kind of doubt it really is. I love the idea of stashing the guy with TJ surgery, but would really be ok with a lot of profiles from different positions. Arms seem easiest though. Find a live one or two and hope.

I'm a bit of this mind. I would be interested giving someone like Scott Manea of look. Grab him in the Rule-5 and add a couple veteran catchers on minor league deals. If Manea can earn a spot, let him be one of two catchers along with a veteran before Adley is called up (assuming service time issues are still in play). If Manea is holding his own, let him stay and you have a younger option that may develop into a good, controllable, cheap back-up catcher who, if good enough, can allow Adley a few more starts at DH/1B to keep him fresher. If not, send him back and find another back-up. Back-up catchers aren't that hard to find. 

I still expect his to pick up a pitcher or two.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

As a sophomore. He is special. People seem to expect him to step up and be a leader, the Field General. And that just seems to come with the package. Like automatic. Dare I say so much more than the original Switch-Hitting Jesus. Matt was a leader but like he had try to do that.

Rays protected Aranda, Hunt, Romero, and Faucher. Two names that jump out from their list of exposed players are former Oriole pick Tobias Myers (traded for Tim Beckham) and Jacob Lopez, who would need to be stashed on the DL for TJ surgery. Lopez looks like maybe a higher ceiling but has no experience above AA plus the TJ.

https://www.draysbay.com/2021/11/18/22789383/the-rays-and-the-rule-5-deadline

Tobias Myers, RHP

Tobias Myers was acquired from the Baltimore Orioles in the trade of Tim Beckham. Myers is a local that went to Winter Haven High School. Like Romero he split time between AA and AAA. In 117.2 innings he put up a 3.90 ERA and 3.82 FIP. He struck out 30.5% of the batters he faced while only posting a walk rate of 5.8%. Myers works off a mid 90s fastball and low 80s curveball as his primary offerings. He flashes an above average changeup that he needs to find more consistency in.

Jacob Lopez, LHP

Jacob Lopez was acquired by the Rays in the deal that sent Joe McCarthy to the San Francisco Giants. Lopez was in the middle of a breakout season that ended just after getting promoted to AA. He put up a 2.41 ERA and 3.03 FIP over 59.2 innings. He posted a 39.5% strikeout rate and 7.4% walk rate. However he had to undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss the 2022 season. This might be the toughest decision among them all. If he goes unprotected it’s very likely a team will stash him on the 60 day IL for the season, but the Rays don’t really have the room to do this.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Rays protected Aranda, Hunt, Romero, and Faucher. Two names that jump out from their list of exposed players are former Oriole pick Tobias Myers (traded for Tim Beckham) and Jacob Lopez, who would need to be stashed on the DL for TJ surgery. Lopez looks like maybe a higher ceiling but has no experience above AA plus the TJ.

https://www.draysbay.com/2021/11/18/22789383/the-rays-and-the-rule-5-deadline

Tobias Myers, RHP

Tobias Myers was acquired from the Baltimore Orioles in the trade of Tim Beckham. Myers is a local that went to Winter Haven High School. Like Romero he split time between AA and AAA. In 117.2 innings he put up a 3.90 ERA and 3.82 FIP. He struck out 30.5% of the batters he faced while only posting a walk rate of 5.8%. Myers works off a mid 90s fastball and low 80s curveball as his primary offerings. He flashes an above average changeup that he needs to find more consistency in.

Jacob Lopez, LHP

Jacob Lopez was acquired by the Rays in the deal that sent Joe McCarthy to the San Francisco Giants. Lopez was in the middle of a breakout season that ended just after getting promoted to AA. He put up a 2.41 ERA and 3.03 FIP over 59.2 innings. He posted a 39.5% strikeout rate and 7.4% walk rate. However he had to undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss the 2022 season. This might be the toughest decision among them all. If he goes unprotected it’s very likely a team will stash him on the 60 day IL for the season, but the Rays don’t really have the room to do this.

I thought Meyers was traded to Cleveland

Orioles should go for the highest upside guys regardless of experience level. It's not like the Orioles are trying to compete next year. Anyone they pick up would be able to get a lot of innings/PAs. If it doesn't work out for them in the majors, then return them to their original team.  

No downside, really. 

4 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

Orioles should go for the highest upside guys regardless of experience level. It's not like the Orioles are trying to compete next year. Anyone they pick up would be able to get a lot of innings/PAs. If it doesn't work out for them in the majors, then return them to their original team.  

No downside, really. 

We don't know that.  Elias hasn't said if he's going to try and win next season.  Maybe the window to contention starts on opening day 2022?

44 minutes ago, scOtt said:

As a sophomore. He is special. People seem to expect him to step up and be a leader, the Field General. And that just seems to come with the package. Like automatic. Dare I say so much more than the original Switch-Hitting Jesus. Matt was a leader but like he had try to do that.

This is all great, and I do expect Rutschman to develop into a leader.   I still would say it’s preferable to have a veteran catcher around during his rookie year as the second catcher.   There are nuances to the major league game that you aren’t going to learn in college or the minors, and sometimes it’s best to watch someone who’s done it, rather than having a coach talk to you about it.   I’m not saying it’s a must, but I’d prefer it to teaming Rutschman with another inexperienced C.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is all great, and I do expect Rutschman to develop into a leader.   I still would say it’s preferable to have a veteran catcher around during his rookie year as the second catcher.   There are nuances to the major league game that you aren’t going to learn in college or the minors, and sometimes it’s best to watch someone who’s done it, rather than having a coach talk to you about it.   I’m not saying it’s a must, but I’d prefer it to teaming Rutschman with another inexperienced C.

I'd rather have as much talent as possible.

If the O's can add a talented, cost controlled Catcher this off-season, they should do it.

You don't turn one of those guys down.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Frobby said:

Do you have some candidates in mind?

Nope, other folks have mentioned possibly targeting catchers, I think a Yankee prospect was named.

I don't look at rule V candidates.  I'm not generally in favor of using that means to acquire talent.

I was speaking in a more general sense.  I wouldn't sacrifice the chance to grab a long term piece for a few months of "veteran presence".

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, other folks have mentioned possibly targeting catchers, I think a Yankee prospect was named.

I don't look at rule V candidates.  I'm not generally in favor of using that means to acquire talent.

I was speaking in a more general sense.  I wouldn't sacrifice the chance to grab a long term piece for a few months of "veteran presence".

Here’s a possibility for a trade.   The Braves just signed Manny Pina two a two year deal and they already have Travis D’Arnaud under contract for two years as well.   So, it appears their 23-year old backup William (I’m not Wilson) Contreras is expendable.   He played 52 games last year, basically at replacement level but he was a rookie and maybe has room to grow, and probably wouldn’t cost much.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/contrwi02.shtml

• Upvote 2