I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

And fans will be perfectly fine with it.

The Orioles will blame the uncertainty of the labor situation and how it effects a team like them moreso than others.  People will buy into the lies and the brothers will go on pocketing money while not caring about the on field product.

But hey, at least we can use that special word “rebuilding” and that makes everything ok!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I guess I really don't understand this reaction, or the desire to start accumulating the same kind of contracts that got us into this mess.

Your post says it all really.. although maybe you didn't see the underlying message.

That's Ubaldo money. That's Cobb money.

Ubaldo...  Cobb...

May as well have just opened the window and thrown the cash into the wind.

We have a bolus of players working through the organization. We should see some of the first wave hit the beach this year. And we should improve significantly..  Then a few strategic free agents. Then the next wave... and the next... and a continuum. At a sustainable price.

That's the model being sold... 

It takes a maddening level of patience to see it through. But if you can make it work.. you can compete perpetually against the deepest pockets in the sport.

How did those contracts “get us into trouble”??

What did signing those deals prevent the team from doing?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Winning

No…a poor minor league system, terrible GM decision making, injuries and underperformance did that.

A bad contract never stops you from winning.  The Orioles weren’t terrible because of failed deals for those guys and Davis.  That’s a crutch and an excuse.  They were terrible because the team went for it when they had no chance to win, didn’t look at what was best for the franchise long term and didn’t draft and develop well.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

We are angry that a guy who will pitch this season at the age of 31.  The same guy that had an ERA of almost 10 the year before.  The same guy that in the last 5 years his best three seasons has an ERA of just over 4 and in his two bad seasons an Era of 6.08 and 9.68.    He basically is at Bruce Zimmerman level at 10 million more a season.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, bpilktree said:

We are angry that a guy who will pitch this season at the age of 31.  The same guy that had an ERA of almost 10 the year before.  The same guy that in the last 5 years his best three seasons has an ERA of just over 4 and in his two bad seasons an Era of 6.08 and 9.68.    He basically is at Bruce Zimmerman level at 10 million more a season.  

Fwiw, I’m not upset about this signing but I get Moose’s point here.  We all know the Os are going to do nothing and it’s frustrating because they are going to completely waste of year of service time for guys like Adley and Grayson and you can argue, they are wasting 2 years because they aren’t going to put themselves in position to be a contender in 2023 either.

This team could be so exciting in 2022 and ownership won’t allow it to happen. 

Stephen Matz was the straw that broke the camel's back?  Did not see that coming.  

Managements plan should be to plan a winning run around player X & player Y's service time?  Seems like a poor long term strategy.  

I fail to see how this team could be so exciting in 2022, even with the addition of 2-3 solid FA signings.   This team is historically terrible and has 6-8 massive holes that need to be filled.  Grayson and Adley are more than likely to come to the majors and struggle.  If you are expecting them to dominate day 1, then you are setting yourself up for more disappointment than missing out on Stephan Matz. 

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Matz to the Cardinals, 4 years/44 million.

That's Ubaldo money. That's Cobb money.  That's a contract this team easily could have afforded.  Even if they had to pay a little extra because we suck and the Cardinals don't, they could have gotten him.  

Yep, I'm already over this offseason, as usual there's no aggressive moves, no targeted list of players they want to go after and make offers to.  As usual, it'll be table scraps come mid February when we're looking around to see who hasn't signed and is desperate to land somewhere.  It's as plain as day to me that this franchise is going to wait until AR, G-Rod, Hall and whoever else is up before they spend anything.  

Just wait until those guys are up and they still don't spend.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just wait until those guys are up [and producing] and they still don't spend.

Then it's a different scenario and a different conversation than now. And it'll be time to talk about more than the S. Matz's of the world. Meanwhile, getting "excited" about mid-tier retread FAs on a bad-to-mediocre club gets old after a couple of decades.