Will Jacob Nottingham be on our Opening Day roster?

Frobby

I don't know why they don't just stick with Wynns.  Wynns is a good defensive catcher with a good arm.  He also knows how to call a game and handle a pitching staff.  While he doesn't have a lot of major league experience, he can be one to mentor Rutschman and won't mind (at least I don't think he will) being a backup catcher while AR gets the playing time.  Wynns struggles at the plate, but I think he brings enough on the defensive side of the field that we can live with a .200 average.

6 minutes ago, connja said:

I suspect there is a chance, and perhaps a good chance, that service time manipulation is addressed in the new CBA.  I'm hopeful that the O's will have no reason to keep AR in the minors, and he will be our OD starter in 2022.

I keep hearing this.

How exactly do you "fix" service time manipulation?

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I keep hearing this.

How exactly do you "fix" service time manipulation?

One day on the 26 man rosters counts as a year for service time.

So you call up Adley for opening day, on April 15th or June 20th you get six years.

Get rid of Super 2 while you are at it.

Now mind you that won't stop the O's from not promoting him in 2021 but it's more fair than what we have now.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One day on the 26 man rosters counts as a year for service time.

So you call up Adley for opening day, on April 15th or June 20th you get six years.

Get rid of Super 2 while you are at it.

Now mind you that won't stop the O's from not promoting him in 2021 but it's more fair than what we have now.

That still doesn't prevent service time manipulation.  It's just going to change when they do it.

Just now, Pickles said:

That still doesn't prevent service time manipulation.  It's just going to change when they do it.

It's going to decrease it.  If you want your future star at all for a given season you might as well start the season with him.  Do you think the 2021 Rays keep Franco down for all of 2021 or do they start the season with him?  Do you think the 2022 Orioles can withstand the PR hit of leaving Adley in the minors for the whole season?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to decrease it.  If you want your future star at all for a given season you might as well start the season with him.  Do you think the 2021 Rays keep Franco down for all of 2021 or do they start the season with him?  Do you think the 2022 Orioles can withstand the PR hit of leaving Adley in the minors for the whole season?

It will decrease by about two weeks.  BFD.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

WTF are you talking about?

He'll be a free agent a full year earlier.

That's a BFD.

No.  He'll see two weeks more time in the MLs than otherwise.  I repeat: BFD.

Take Rutschman.  The old rules he gets up here April 17.  The "new" rules he gets up here April 1.  BFD.

Just seems an odd soapbox to preach from.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No.  He'll see two weeks more time in the MLs than otherwise.  I repeat: BFD.

Take Rutschman.  The old rules he gets up here April 17.  The "new" rules he gets up here April 1.  BFD.

Just seems an odd soapbox to preach from.

Huh? No, he’ll be a FA one year sooner. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Huh? No, he’ll be a FA one year sooner. 

If you change the rules to make any day on the roster a full service season, then guys like Wieters and AR will be called up like two weeks earlier.

That's the whole point.  The manipulation will still take place; the date will just change.  And it won't add more than a month or so to a guy's ML experience.